Las Vegas Defense Group, L.L.C., is pleased to offer a scholarship to the winner of our Criminal Justice Reform Essay Contest. Scroll down for eligibility requirements and how to enter...
Criminal Justice System in Crisis
The U.S. "criminal justice" system is an oxymoron. Case in point:
- The U.S. has by far the highest incarceration rate per capita in the world.
- Most criminal offenders are less than 30 years old.
- The poor are more likely to be crime victims than the rich.
- The U.S. spends $87 million on corrections. It costs more to incarcerate a person than to pay for a Harvard education.
- There is nearly a 70% chance that a black man without a high school diploma will be in prison by his mid-thirties.
- Thousands of inmates are serving life sentences for non-violent drug offenses.
In the context of these alarming facts, Las Vegas Defense Group is inviting ideas from students around the country about ways to reform the justice system so it is more fair and efficient. So it focuses on rehabilitation more than incapacitation. So people get help and not hopelessness.
Any undergraduate or graduate student (including law student) currently enrolled at a college or university in the United States. Joint or multiple entries will be disqualified.
$2,500 and a frameable certificate
11/25/19 at 12:00 P.M. PST. Winner will be notified by email by 12/6/19.
Compose an original, previously unpublished essay of up to 1,000 words identifying an injustice plaguing criminal law or procedure and proposing a workable solution.
How to Enter
Email your essay in the body of the email (no attachments) to [email protected] along with your full name, address, phone number, email address, and student ID number. Put "SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY" in the subject line.
Las Vegas Defense Group reserves all applicable municipal, local, state and federal laws and regulations. Las Vegas Defense Group reserves the right not to award any winners. Las Vegas Defense Group has no obligation to explain or justify its selection process. Las Vegas Defense Group, its employees and agents are not liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from entering this contest or from any acceptance or utilization of any prize awarded. Email [email protected] with any questions.