"Category E Felonies" in Nevada (NRS 193.130)

Category E felonies
are the least serious class of felony crimes in Nevada. The judge usually orders a Nevada suspended sentence in lieu of prison.

As with all criminal cases, it may be possible to plea bargain a category E charge down to a lesser offense or a full dismissal. If no deal can be reached, the defendant is entitled to a jury trial

Category E convictions may be sealed two (2) years after the case closes. Depending on the offense, aliens convicted of a category E felony may be deported from the U.S.

Below our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about category E felonies in Nevada, including definitions, punishments, and record seal time frames. Click on a topic to go to that section.

Felony 20sign
Category E felonies are the least serious category of Nevada felonies.

1. What are Category E felonies in Nevada?

Category E crimes in Nevada are the least grave class of felonies. But they are more serious than gross misdemeanors and misdemeanors.1

Common examples of category E felonies in Nevada are:

Note that attempting to commit a category E felony is prosecuted as a "wobbler" crime that can be treated as either a category E felony or a gross misdemeanor.6 Learn more about Nevada wobbler offenses.

2. What are the penalties for Category E felonies in Nevada?

Nevada courts typically grant probation to defendants convicted of category E felonies. This means the judge will suspend a jail sentence as long as the defendant stays out of trouble and fulfills other court-ordered requirements. But the maximum penalties may include:

Felony 20sign

When a judge imposes a sentence range for a Nevada felony conviction, the minimum time cannot exceed 40% of the maximum time. For example, if a judge orders someone to a maximum prison term of four (4) years, the minimum time must be no more than 19.2 months, which is 40% of four (4) years.8

3. Can I get a jury trial for a Category E felony in Nevada?

Yes. Anyone who is charged with a category E felony in Nevada has the constitutional right to a jury trial.9

4. Can I get a Category E felony sealed?

Category E felony convictions can usually be sealed two (2) years after the case closes. But the case can never be sealed if it involved a crime against children, a sex crime, or felony DUI.10

If the case gets dismissed (which means there is no conviction), the defendant can start the record seal petition process immediately.11

5. Will I get deported for a Category E felony?

Even though category E felonies are the least serious class of felonies, some of them may be considered crimes involving moral turpitude (CIMT). Aliens convicted of a CIMT risk deportation, which is why non-citizens are advised to retain counsel to attempt to get their charges changed to a non-deportable offense.12 Read more about Nevada criminal defense of immigrants law.

Arrested? Call us . . . .

Our Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorneys are here to try to get your felony case dismissed or reduced to lesser charges or, if you wish, to take it all the way to trial. Call us anytime at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a free meeting to discuss what we can do to help your case and keep your criminal record clean.

Legal References

  1. NRS 193.130.
  2. NRS 201.354.
  3. NRS 193.168.
  4. NRS 200.603.
  5. NRS 453.336.
  6. NRS 193.330.
  7. NRS 193.130.
  8. Id.
  9. U.S. Constitution, Sixth Amendment.
  10. NRS 179.245.
  11. NRS 179.255.
  12. 8 USC § 1227.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370