It is now legal in Nevada for adults 21 and over to possess up to one (1) ounce of marijuana in private. But people are still slapped with fines and lengthy prison sentences merely for selling marijuana or smoking a joint in public. Even patients protected under the Nevada Medical Marijuana Program can be jailed for growing too much pot.
Although marijuana is arguably less unhealthy and less addictive than such legal substances as beer and cigarettes, pot nevertheless remains criminal both federally and in the state of Nevada. And despite Las Vegas's reputation as "Sin City," Clark County enforces disproportionately harsh marijuana laws.
Furthermore, any immigrant or non-citizen who is convicted of any marijuana-related charges may be deported from the U.S! Unless the charge was for simple marijuana possession in Nevada of thirty (30) grams or less of marijuana, any drug charge is a removable offense for aliens. (Click here to go to our information page on the criminal defense of aliens in Nevada.)
To learn more about specific marijuana laws, defenses to these laws, and their penalties in Las Vegas, Nevada, click on the appropriate links below. For comprehensive information on medical marijuana laws in Las Vegas, visit our page on the Nevada Medical Marijuana Program.
- The legal definition of marijuana in the state of Nevada (NRS 453.096)
- Possession of Marijuana in Nevada (NRS 453.336)
- Nevada Question 2 and the Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act
- Possession of Marijuana for the purpose of sale in Nevada (NRS 453.337)
- Selling Marijuana and other Unauthorized Acts in Nevada (NRS 453.321)
- Cultivating Marijuana in Nevada (NRS 453.3393)
- Trafficking of Marijuana in Nevada (NRS 453.339)
- Driving under the influence of Marijuana in Nevada (DUID)
If you are in need of criminal defense legal representation in Las Vegas, contact our Las Vegas Criminal Defense Lawyers at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) to schedule a free consultation.
¿Habla español? Más información acerca de las leyes de marihuana Nevada.
Learn about California marijuana laws at our page on California marijuana laws.