NRS 483.560 - Driving on a Suspended License in Las Vegas Nevada


NRS 483.560 is the Nevada law that makes it a misdemeanor to drive a vehicle on a highway or public premises after one's driver's license has been canceled, revoked or suspended. Driving on a suspended license carries penalties of up to 6 months in jail, $1000 in fines, and a further license suspension.

But it may be possible to overcome NRS 483.560 charges by showing that:

  1. there was never actually a suspension;
  2. the DMV failed to notify the defendant; or
  3. the suspension period had already lapsed

In this article, our Las Vegas DUI defense attorneys discuss:

a suspended Nevada driver's license (NRS 483.560)
Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor under NRS 483.560.

1. What are the penalties for driving with a suspended license?

The punishment depends on why the license was revoked:

Reason for suspension in Nevada

Punishment for driving on a suspended license (NRS 483.560)

Driving under the influence (DUI) 

  • 30 days in jail (or 60 days of home confinement) to 6 months in jail; and
  • $500 to $1,000 in fines; and
  • 1-year additional license revocation

The judge may not grant probation. But jail can be served intermittently if:

  1. It gets done within 6 months after the conviction date; and
  2. No incarceration period lasts less than 24 hours

Non-DUI charges or issues, such as:

  • Up to $1,000 in fines; and/or
  • Up to 6 months in jail (judges rarely impose jail); and
  • A doubling of the original license suspension period

If the defendant had a restricted license, the revocation period will be extended for another year.

If the defendant's license had been suspended or canceled for an indefinite period, a first-time violation carries an additional 6-month license revocation. A subsequent violation carries an additional 1-year revocation.

2. How do I fight the charges?

Common defenses to driving on a suspended license are:

  1. There was never a suspension or revocation,
  2. The defendant had no notice, and/or
  3. The suspension period passed

Most of these cases resolve through negotiating with the prosecutor. Otherwise, defendants may request a bench trial in pursuit of a full acquittal.

2.1. There was never a suspension or revocation

The Nevada DMV is a large bureaucratic organization. Therefore, clerical errors are inevitable.

Perhaps the defendant can show that the DMV was mistaken about the suspension status. If so, then the case should be dismissed.

2.2. The defendant had no notice

Notice is required before Nevada driving privileges can be suspended. Adequate notice is typically in the form of a:

  • Document that police hand drivers following a DUI arrest; or
  • Certified letter mailed from the DMV to the defendant's last known address

If the defense attorney can show that authorities failed to give the defendant proper notice, then the charges for violating NRS 483.560 should be dismissed.1

2.3. The suspension / revocation period passed

If a defendant drives after his/her suspension or revocation period already ended, then by definition the defendant may not be convicted of violating NRS 483.560. This is true even if he/she neglected to formally reinstate his/her driving privileges. However, the defendant may instead face charges of driving without a license (NRS 483.230)

Violating NRS 483.230 misdemeanor. Penalties include up to $1,000 and/or six months in jail.

3. How can I avoid another suspension or revocation?

stamp that says revoked
Violating NRS 483.560 carries additional suspension.

Nevada defendants facing an additional suspension for driving on a suspended license can request a DMV Hearing. These administrative proceedings are like mini-trials:

The defense attorney would contest the suspension. Both sides may present evidence and cross-examine witnesses. And then the judge delivers a decision.

DMV hearings are more difficult to win than criminal trials. This is because the judge requires very little evidence to find fault. However, DMV hearings are still worth pursuing. They are an opportunity to test defense theories for any related criminal cases.

4. Can I get a restricted license?

Possibly. In DUI or DUID cases, it depends on the specific charge. And there may be a wait:

Nevada DUI offense

Waiting time to get restricted driving privileges

DUI 1st

Immediately if the defendant gets an ignition interlock device.

DUI 2nd

No restricted license is available.

DUI 3rd or DUI causing injury or death (NRS 484C.430)

1 year into 3-year revocation.

Restricted licenses may permit drivers to travel to and from:

  • Work,
  • School,
  • Doctors,
  • The grocery store, and/or
  • Court-ordered child visitation2

Not everyone can get a restricted license. Call the DMV at 775-684-4364 (Option 2) for eligibility information.  And refer to the Nevada DMV restricted license application.

5. How do I reinstate my driving privileges?

It depends on the circumstances of the case. Call the DMV for specific instructions:

Nevada DMV location

Phone number

Las Vegas

(702) 486-4368 option 1

Reno/Carson City

(775) 684-4368 option 1

Rural Nevada (Toll-Free)

(877) 368-7828 option 1

Some applicants must retake the driving skills test. This is typical after a one-year or longer suspension.3

6. What if I live out of state?

An NRS 483.560 violation is just a misdemeanor. Therefore, local Nevada attorneys can usually appear in court on the defendants' behalf. Out-of-state defendants should not have to come back in state. An exception is if the case goes to trial, which is rare.

7. Do license suspensions carry from state to state?

Most state DMVs communicate with each other. And they often honor each other's suspension laws. Therefore, drivers charged in Nevada may face a suspension in their home state. And vice versa.

Non-Nevada residents should consult with counsel in their home state about local DMV consequences.

8. When can I seal my case?

A Nevada conviction for violating NRS 483.560 is sealable. But defendants must wait one year after the case ends.

Though if the charge gets dismissed, then there is no waiting period. Defendants can file the paperwork immediately.4

9. Do suspended licenses show up on background checks?

No. This is because suspended licenses are administrative, not criminal matters. But if a person gets cited for driving on a suspended license, then that criminal case will show up on future background checks. 

10. Will my insurance know if my license is suspended?

Insurance companies can always check whether a person's license is suspending by pulling his/her motor vehicle report. Having a suspended license should not affect the person's ability to get or keep insurance.

Receptionists waiting for your call.
Call our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys. 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673). We offer FREE consultations.

Call a Nevada criminal defense attorney...

Charged with violating NRS 483.560 in Nevada? Our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys are here. Call at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a free consultation.

See our article on the difference between revoked and suspended driving privileges in Nevada.

Arrested in California? See our article on driving with suspended driving privileges (14601 VC).

Arrested in Colorado? See our article on driving under restraint (42-2-138 C.R.S.).

Legal References

  1. See NRS 483.560; Zamarripa v. First Judicial Dist. Court, 103 Nev. 638, 747 P.2d 1386 (1987).
  2. NRS 483.360.
  3. License suspensions & revocations, Nevada DMV.
  4. NRS 179.245; NRS 179.255. 

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370