Can I still be arrested for prostitution in Nevada if there was no sex?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Mar 16, 2015 | 0 Comments

Yes. Prostitution is defined not only as trading sexual favors for money…but also as offering or agreeing to trade sexual favors for money. Merely soliciting prostitution can be prosecuted as prostitution in Nevada even if no physical touching took place.

In Nevada, the majority of prostitution charges stem from cases where no sex occurred. Often an undercover cop poses as a hooker or a john in an effort to catch someone in the act of soliciting prostitution. Once they get a verbal agreement to exchange sex for cash, the policeman will arrest the hooker or john.

Prostitution is a misdemeanor in Nevada. The penalty includes:

  • up to 6 months in jail, and/or
  • up to $1,000 in fines.

For a first offense, the D.A. may be willing to dismiss the case in exchange for a fine and completion of an education class on the dangers of prostitution and AIDS. Read more information on the Nevada crime of soliciting prostitution.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370