Can I go to jail for littering in Nevada?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Mar 03, 2015 | 0 Comments

You can, though probably not for a first offense. But everything depends on what is being littered. In Las Vegas, for example, a typical littering offense such as dropping an empty soda can on the street is punished by:

  • $50 to $500, and/or
  • 30 days to 6 months in jail

Meanwhile, depositing garbage on a public highway or throwing a burning cigarette from a moving vehicle carries:

  • up to $1,000, and/or
  • up to 6 months in jail

Depositing dead animals into the water is more serious, carrying:

  • up to $2,000, and/or
  • up to 364 days in jail

Finally, dumping hazardous materials carries up to 364 days in jail, 10 hours of community service, and civil fines. The punishment increases with each successive conviction. Hazardous materials typically include human waste, sewage, and sludge, cesspool or septic tank effluent.

Note that Nevada prohibits littering on both public and private property. Read more information on the Nevada crime of littering.


About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370