What is solicitation for child prostitution?
Section 18-7-402 of the Colorado criminal code (Revised Statutes Title 18) makes it a felony to solicit for child prostitution.
18-7-402 (1) C.R.S. provides:
A person commits soliciting for child prostitution if he:
- (a) Solicits another for the purpose of prostitution of a child or by a child;
- (b) Arranges or offers to arrange a meeting of persons for the purpose of prostitution of a child or by a child; or
- (c) Directs another to a place knowing such direction is for the purpose of prostitution of a child or by a child.
Colorado penalties for soliciting for a child prostitute
Soliciting for child prostitution is a Colorado class 3 felony. As an unlawful sexual offense, it includes a mandatory prison sentence.
At a minimum, consequences of soliciting a child for prostitution in Colorado can include:
- 4-12 years in prison, and possibly
- A fine of $3,000-$750,000.
A conviction will also require you to register as a Colorado sex offender. If you were at least 18 at the time of the offense, then your name, photo and information as a sex offender may be posted publicly on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s sex offender registry and other law enforcement websites.
Defenses to soliciting for child prostitution
Defending against a charge of soliciting will depend on the specific facts of your case. But common defenses include (though they are not limited to):
- The “child” was at least 18 years old;
- You weren't soliciting anyone -- your intentions were misunderstood;
- The purpose of the meeting was not prostitution of a child;
- You didn't know you were directing someone to a place where prostitution was practiced; or
- The police entrapped you or engaged in other police misconduct.
Call us for help…
If you or someone you know has been accused in Colorado of soliciting for child prostitution, we invite you to contact us for a free consultation.
Our Denver Colorado criminal attorneys defend clients on all types of Colorado sex offenses. We know that the story the police and the prosecution paint isn't always accurate. But the consequences of a Colorado solicitation conviction are all too real.
You can reach us confidentially using the form on this page, or by calling us at our Denver home office:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
1400 16th Street ste. 400
16 Market Square
Denver CO 80202