The difference between pimping and pandering of a child in Colorado
Section 18-7-405 C.R.S. of the Colorado criminal code provides:
- Any person who knowingly lives on or is supported or maintained in whole or in part by money or other thing of value earned, received, procured, or realized by a child through prostitution commits pimping of a child, which is a class 3 felony.
The crime commonly referred to as “pimping” – that is, promoting or providing the services of a prostitute – is set forth in the related crime of pandering of a child, 18-7-403 C.R.S.
Penalties for pimping a child prostitute in Colorado
Pimping of a child is a Colorado class 3 felony. Penalties include:
- A mandatory state prison sentence of 4-12 years,
- Mandatory registration as a Colorado sex offender, and possibly
- A fine of $3,000-$750,000.
The court is not permitted to offer parole in lieu of prison in cases of unlawful sex offenses involving a child.
Defending Colorado charges of pimping of a child
Common defenses to pimping a child in Colorado include (but are not limited to):
- The child in question was not a prostitute,
- You didn’t derive support from the child’s earnings,
- You didn’t know the child was a prostitute, or
- The police engaged in entrapment or other misconduct.
However, it is NOT a defense to pimping charges that you did not know the child was under the age of 18. If you pimp a child believing that child to be an adult, it is not a defense to the charges — even if your mistaken belief was reasonable.
Call us for help…
Innocent people often get hit with felony pimping or pandering charges. Perhaps you didn’t know your child’s job was as a prostitute. Maybe you tried to intervene with your child and failed.
Our Colorado criminal defense lawyers have years of experience defending clients accused of pimping, pandering, solicitation and other prostitution-related offenses.
For a free consultation with one of our skilled Colorado sex crimes lawyers, simply fill out the confidential form on this page. Or, if you prefer, call us at our Denver home office. One of our attorneys will get back to you promptly to go over the facts of your case and discuss possible legal defenses.
We serve communities throughout the state of Colorado. In Denver our office is located at:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
4047 Tejon Street
Denver, CO 80211