Prostitution is a Colorado misdemeanor
Colorado 18-7-201 C.R.S. sets forth the law against prostitution:
- (1) Any person who performs or offers or agrees to perform any act of sexual intercourse, fellatio, cunnilingus, masturbation, or anal intercourse with any person not his spouse in exchange for money or other thing of value commits prostitution.
- (a) “Fellatio”, as used in this section, means any act of oral stimulation of the penis.
- (b) “Cunnilingus”, as used in this section, means any act of oral stimulation of the vulva or clitoris.
- (c) “Masturbation”, as used in this section, means stimulation of the genital organs by manual or other bodily contact exclusive of sexual intercourse.
- (d) “Anal intercourse”, as used in this section, means contact between human beings of the genital organs of one and the anus of another.
- (3) Prostitution is a class 3 misdemeanor.
Penalties for being a prostitute in Colorado
Punishment for prostitution in Colorado can include:
- Up to 6 months in jail, and/or
- A fine of $50-$750.
And if, by word, gesture, or action, you endeavor to further the practice of prostitution in any public place or within public view, you can be charged with the crime of prostitute making display,18-7-207 C.R.S.
Making a public display of prostitution in violation of 18-7-207 C.R.S. is a Colorado class 1 petty offense. It can be punished by:
- A fine of up to $500, and/or
- 6 months in jail.
Defending Colorado prostitution charges
Our Denver Colorado criminal defense lawyers know that even though prostitution is merely a misdemeanor, a conviction still gives you a criminal record. As a result, we fight vigorously not only to keep you out of jail, but to protect your good name.
Although there are many ways to defend against prostitution charges, some of the more common include:
- You did not offer sex,
- You did not ask for anything of value in exchange for sex,
- There was a simple misunderstanding,
- You were entrapped,
- You were acting under threat, coercion or violence,
- You were a victim of human trafficking, or
- The police entrapped you or engaged in other police misconduct.
Call us for help…
Our Denver sex crimes attorneys know that the police frequently make assumptions when it comes to sex. And when they do, innocent people – or those who have no choice – often find themselves charged with prostitution.
If you have been accused of prostitution, pimping or pandering in Colorado, we invite you to contact us for a free consultation.
We won't just process you through the system. We will do our best to prove your innocence and keep you out of jail.
You can reach us by filling out the form on this page. Or, if you'd prefer, call us at our centrally located Denver office:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
1400 16th Street ste. 400
16 Market Square
Denver CO 80202