1. What are class 2 misdemeanors in Colorado?
Class 2 misdemeanors are the middle tier of Colorado misdemeanors. This type of misdemeanor is one degree less serious than class 1 misdemeanor offenses and one degree more serious than class 3 misdemeanors. But even though they are less significant than Colorado felony crimes, class 2 misdemeanor crimes still look bad on background checks. Common examples of these criminal charges under Colorado law are:
- Criminal attempt (CRS 18-2-101) to commit a class 1 misdemeanor
- False imprisonment (CRS 18-3-303) (without force, threats, and detainment lasts less than 24 hours)
- Second-degree arson (CRS 18-4-103) (damage is less than $1,000)
- Theft (CRS 18-4-401) (value is at least $300 but less than $750)
- Criminal mischief (CRS 18-4-501) (damage amounts to at least $300 but less than $750)
- Second-degree criminal tampering (CRS 18-4-505)
- Obtaining signatures by deception
- Marrying a bigamist
- Keeping a place of prostitution (CRS 18-7-204)
- Criminal invasion of privacy (CRS 18-7-801)
- Resisting arrest (CRS 18-8-103)
- Violating a protection order (CRS 18-6-803.5)
2. What are class 2 misdemeanor penalties in Colorado?
- 3 months to 12 months in jail time, and/or
- $250 to $1,000 in fines
Therefore, courts have the discretion to impose a minimum sentence with only fines with no jail sentence. A maximum sentence under state criminal law would include a year in jail and $1,000 in fines.
The district attorney has 18 months to bring charges in most misdemeanor cases. But some specific crimes may have a longer or shorter statute of limitations.
Certain class 2 misdemeanors are crimes involving moral turpitude. This means non-citizens convicted of them could be deported.
Our experienced Colorado Criminal Defense Attorneys want to provide legal help to you. Our law firm fights to get charges reduced or dismissed. Contact our law offices for a free consultation and legal advice. We help clients throughout the state of Colorado, including Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Golden, and more.