The Washoe County Sheriff's Office issued 81 speeding tickets from January 8th through January 22, 2018. The second most frequently-issued citation was for cell phone use: 43 tickets. The police also issued three dozen non-moving violation citations for having no registration, insurance, or driver's license.
This two-week period was part of the Nevada Department of Public Safety "Joining Forces" Distracted Driving Prevention Campaign. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office teamed up with the Reno Police Department, Sparks Police Department and Nevada Highway Patrol to execute this enforcement campaign, meant to raise awareness of the consequences of bad driving. Joining Forces is funded by the Nevada Department of Public Safety.
In all, Washoe County Sheriff's Office deputies conducted 139 traffic stops and issued 174 arrests, citations, and warnings. The breakdown is:
- 81 speeding tickets
- 43 cell phone use citations
- 14 failure to show proof of insurance tickets
- 12 motor vehicle registration violation tickets
- 10 driver's license violation tickets
- 5 warnings
- 2 failure to yield citations
- 2 seatbelt violation citations
- 1 running a red light ticket
- 1 vehicle equipment violation ticket
- 1 child seat violation ticket
- 1 drug arrest
- 1 all other offenses
For more on this story, read the ABC KOLO 8 News Now article.