What is "obstruction of a public officer" in Nevada?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Feb 17, 2015 | 0 Comments

Under NRS 197.190, a person can be arrested for "obstructing a public officer" in Nevada by either:

  1. refusing or neglecting to give information to a public officer when you are legally mandated to and have been given notice to; or
  2. deliberately making a false, misleading or exaggerated statement to a public officer; or
  3. deliberately hindering a public officer from carrying out their official duties

Note that a "public officer" constitutes any Nevada state or local government employee. Just some of the professions this includes are police officers, senators, councilmen, and judges. An example of obstructing a public officer is taunting a cop while he/she is trying to arrest someone else.

Typical defenses to violating NRS 197.190 are that the defendant acted legally, or that the state cannot produce sufficient evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It is a misdemeanor to obstruct a public officer in Nevada. The penalties include up to 6 months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines. Read more information on the Nevada crime of obstructing a public officer.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370