People can initiate Allstate auto accident claims by contacting the company directly at 1-800-Allstate, visiting their website, or by using the Allstate mobile app. Note that claimants should file their claim quickly after an accident. A delay could result in accident victims losing their right to pursue compensation for their injuries.
If successful in bringing Allstate auto insurance claims, people can receive payment for:
- medical bills and expenses,
- lost wages,
- lost earning capacity,
- property damage,
- out-of-pocket expenses (for example, if a car has to visit a repair shop), and
- pain and suffering.
Claimants will likely have to speak with an Allstate auto insurance claims adjuster at some point within the life of their claims. In doing so, car accident victims should answer questions with basic information. Adjusters are often known to use any bit of information to deny car insurance claims and minimize payments.
Injured parties should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney before filing a claim. Lawyers play a vital role in the claims process. For example, they can assist clients by:
- making certain they file their Allstate claims on time,
- gathering evidence to help support a claim,
- negotiating with an Allstate claims adjuster (to help facilitate claim settlement), and
- filing a lawsuit if negotiations with the insurance company fail.
Our California car accident lawyers will explain the following in this article:
- 1. What should an injury victim do immediately after a car crash?
- 2. Can an auto accident victim speak with an Allstate claim representative?
- 3. Should claimants personally negotiate with Allstate insurance agents?
- 4. How can a personal injury attorney help?
1. What should an injury victim do immediately after a car crash?
If a person suffers any type of serious injury in a car accident, he/she must seek out medical care as soon as practically possible after an accident.
Victims that only experience minor injuries are encouraged to stay at the scene of their accident. They should take some time to gather the following information:
- the at-fault driver’s Allstate auto insurance policy number and insurance information,
- the at-fault party’s name, contact information, and license number, and
- the names and contact information of any people that witnessed the accident.
Accident victims should then visit an urgent care clinic or make an appointment with their primary care physician. This is true even if a person believes he/she is not injured. Serious medical conditions can develop even when are no early symptoms of an injury.
Parties should try and file an Allstate car accident claim within 24 hours of the collision. They can initiate a claim by calling 1-800-Allstate, filing a claim online, or by downloading the Allstate mobile app. Parties that fail to timely file their claim may lose their right to do so in the future.
Once an accident victim reports a collision to Allstate, the company will:
- assign the party with an Allstate claims number, and
- appoint an Allstate claims adjuster to the case.
Claims adjusters usually contact accident victims within a couple of weeks after they initiate an insurance claim. Adjusters do so to gather basic information about the claimants’ injuries and their accidents.
If police did not visit the car accident scene, injured parties should contact their local police department and file a police report of the accident.
2. Can an auto accident victim speak with an Allstate claim representative?
Yes. Accident victims are free to speak with Allstate insurance agents or adjusters following an accident. If they do not file a claim online, they will have to speak with an agent to initiate a claim.
Note, though, that Allstate and other insurance companies are often known to fight injury claims tooth and nail. They are in the business of making money and do not want to make it easy for accident victims to gain reimbursement for their injuries and losses.
As a result, claimants should be careful in their communications with a local agent or an Allstate auto claims office. They should avoid giving an adjuster any reason for denying an insurance claim.
If a person must speak with an adjuster after filing an Allstate auto accident claim, it is wise for him or her to:
- not guess or speculate as to facts,
- keep answers simple,
- avoid admitting any type of guilt,
- avoid giving a recorded statement,
- provide honest and truthful answers,
- refuse to sign anything until he/she consults with an attorney,
- refuse an adjuster to downplay injury or pain, and
- consult with a lawyer if there are signs of bad faith.
3. Should claimants personally negotiate with Allstate insurance agents?
Usually, it is not a good idea for an injury victim to personally negotiate with an Allstate insurance company adjuster to settle a collision claim or secure claim payment.
Insurance adjusters often use a variety of tactics to avoid paying claimants the full value of their claim or to deny a claim in its entirety.
Resultingly, it is typically wise for an injured party to have an experienced personal injury attorney negotiate on his/her behalf.
Lawyers are better situated to spot questionable negotiation tactics and stand up to aggressive adjusters.
4. How can a personal injury attorney help?
Injury lawyers play a huge role when it comes to dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident.
An attorney will interview accident victims to learn the facts of their case and assess their medical needs. Lawyers can help victims obtain immediate medical care and they can help manage their ongoing medical treatment.
A personal injury attorney can gather evidence in car collision cases to identify all liable parties. They can also appoint experts to explain this evidence to claims adjusters.
Attorneys can make sure that victims file their Allstate injury claims on time, and they can step in and negotiate these claims on behalf of their clients.
If Allstate negotiations break down, a lawyer can file an injury lawsuit against the at-fault party and manage the litigation.
For additional help…
If you or a loved one was injured in an auto accident, we invite you to contact our law firm at the Shouse Law Group. Our attorneys provide both free consultations and legal advice you can trust.
We know how Allstate operates and we work tirelessly to get you the maximum compensation available for your case.