An Accuretic lawsuit is a claim against Pfizer and Greenstone for selling high blood pressure drug quinapril HCl/hydrochlorothiazide, which may cause cancer from nitrosamine contamination.
In this article, our mass tort attorneys discuss:
- 1. Which Pfizer blood pressure medications have been recalled?
- 2. Why is Accuretic being recalled?
- 3. Why should I do if I am taking Accuretic?
- 4. What is the status of the litigation?
1. Which Pfizer blood pressure medications have been recalled?
On March 21, 2022, Pfizer recalled the following high blood pressure medications:
- Accuretic (brand name, six lots, distributed by Pfizer);
- quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide (generic, one lot, distributed by Greenstone); and
- quinapril HCl/ hydrochlorothiazide (generic, four lots, distributed by Greenstone).
The recalled lots were distributed between November 2019 and March 2022. Below is more detailed information about which specific lots have been recalled.
1.1. Recalled Accuretic
Accuretic™ (quinapril HCl/hydrochlorothiazide) tablets
(distributed by Pfizer – 1 x 90 count bottles)
|10/12.5 mg |
|10/12.5 mg |
1.2. Recalled quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide and quinapril HCl/hydrochlorothiazide
quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide tablets and
(distributed by Greenstone – 1 x 90 count bottles)
2. Why is Accuretic being recalled?
Accuretic and its generics are being recalled by Pfizer because they contain unacceptable levels of N-nitroso-quinapril, a nitrosamine. Nitrosamines are impurities that can potentially cause cancer.2
3. Why should I do if I am taking Accuretic?
If you are currently taking Accuretic or its generics, contact your physician right away to discuss alternative hypertension medications. There are many available medications that help reduce the risk of strokes, myocardial infarctions, and other cardiovascular events. Also ask your physician if you should be screened for cancer.
Finally, contact a mass torts attorney to discuss bringing a lawsuit. And be sure to save your bottles of the recalled medications. They can serve as evidence if you file suit.
4. What is the status of the litigation?
Litigation regarding the recalled Pfizer blood pressure medications is very new. It is expected that all the lawsuits will eventually be consolidated into a multi-district litigation (MDL). The main causes of actions will likely include:
- defective design,
- manufacturing defect, and
- failure to warn.
- Pfizer Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Lots of ACCURETIC™ (quinapril HCl/hydrochlorothiazide), quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide Tablets, and quinapril HCl/hydrochlorothiazide Tablets Due to N-Nitroso- Quinapril Content, Pfizer.com (March 21, 2022). Pfizer Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Lots of ACCURETICTM (Quinapril HCl/Hydrochlorothiazide), Quinapril and Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets, and Quinapril HCl/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets Due to N-Nitroso-Quinapril Content, FDA.gov (March 22, 2022).
- Madeline Holcombe, Blood pressure medication recalled over cancer risk concerns, CNN (March 24, 2022).