Consumers Legal Remedies Act
(California Civil Code sections 1750 -1784)

The California Consumers Legal Remedies Act (“CLRA”) is a set of laws that protect consumers from false advertising and other unfair business practices. Set forth in Civil Code 1750 and subsequent sections, the CLRA allows consumers to bring individual or California class action lawsuits to recover damages and enjoin the prohibited practices.

Examples of unfair business practices prohibited by the Consumers Legal Remedies Act include:

  • “Passing off” goods or services as those of another,
  • Selling used goods as new,
  • Knowingly recommending unnecessary replacement or repair of goods,
  • “Robocalling” non-customers, and
  • Making false or misleading statements about someone else's products.1

Remedies for violation of the CLRA can include:

  • The consumer's actual monetary damages
  • A court order enjoining (prohibiting) the unfair practices,
  • Restitution of property,
  • Punitive damages,
  • Recovery of attorney's fees, and
  • Any other relief which the court deems proper.2

To help you better understand the Consumers Legal Remedies Act, our California personal injury lawyers discuss, below:

You may also wish to read our article on California's “Unfair Competition Law."

sleazy looking man in suit gesturing

1. What practices are prohibited under California's Consumers Legal Remedies Act?

California Civil Code 1770 (a) lists almost two dozen unfair and deceptive acts of consumer fraud. The prohibited practices include:

  • Passing off goods or services as those of another.
  • Misrepresenting the source of goods or services.
  • Misrepresenting a professional affiliation or endorsement;
  • Using deceptive representations or designations of geographic origin;
  • Representing that used or reconditioned goods are original or new;
  • Representing that goods or services are of a particular quality or grade if they are of another.
  • Disparaging the goods, services, or business of another by false or misleading representation of fact.
  • Advertising goods or services with intent not to sell them as advertised.
  • Advertising goods or services with intent not to supply reasonably expectable demand, unless the advertisement discloses a limitation of quantity.
  • Advertising furniture without clearly indicating that it is unassembled if that is the case.
  • Representing that a part, replacement, or repair service is needed when it is not.
  • Misrepresenting the authority of a salesperson, representative, or agent to negotiate the final terms of a transaction with a consumer;
  • Disseminating an unsolicited prerecorded message by telephone ("robo-calling") without identifying the caller, unless the person receiving the call is already a customer or the caller is trying to collect a legitimate debt; and
  • Soliciting a senior citizen at home for improvements that require a loan which encumbers the senior's primary residence.

2. Who can sue for violation of the CLRA?

Any consumer who has suffered damage as a result of an act prohibited by the Consumers Legal Remedies Act can bring suit.3 Both individual lawsuits and class actions are possible.4

3. What are the remedies for violation of the CLRA?

California Civil Code section 1780(a) sets forth the remedies for violation of the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act.

Under Civil Code 1780(a), consumers injured by deceptive or unfair practices may be entitled to recover:

  • Actual damages,
  • An order enjoining such methods, acts, or practices,
  • Restitution of property,
  • Punitive damages, and
  • Any other relief which the court deems proper.

Senior citizens and disabled consumers may be awarded additional damages of up to $5,000 if they have suffered substantial physical, emotional, or economic damage as the result of the defendant's conduct.

Note that the court will not award damages if the defendant:

  1. Proves that violation of the CLRA was not intentional and resulted from a bona fide error; and
  2. Makes an appropriate correction, repair or replacement or another remedy of the goods and/or services.5

4. Are the parties to a consumer lawsuit entitled to attorney's fees?

The court may award court costs and attorney's fees to a prevailing plaintiff.

A prevailing defendant may recover attorney's fees only if the court finds that the plaintiff's lawsuit was not in good faith.

5. How long do people have to sue under the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act?

The statute of limitations to sue under the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act is three years from the commission of the unfair practice.6

However, 30 days or more before filing a lawsuit for damages, the consumer must notify the potential defendant via certified mail and ask the business to correct, repair, replace or otherwise rectify the goods or services alleged to be in violation of the CLRA.

Upon receipt of the notice, the business will then have 30 days to remedy the situation or agree to do so (and then actually do it) within a reasonable time. The business must also within a reasonable time cease to engage in the unfair or deception practices.7

Injured by an unfair consumer practice? Call us for help…

If you have suffered damages as the result of unfair business practice, we invite you to contact us free consultation.

Call 855-LAWFIRM or complete the form on this page to discuss your case with a California consumer injury lawyer.

Legal references:

  1. California Civil Code 1770.
  2. Civil Code 1780(a).
  3. Same.
  4. For class action requirements, see Civil Code 1781.
  5. Civil Code 1784.
  6. Civil Code 1783.
  7. Civil Code 1782.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370