New Year's DUI Arrests on the Decline in Nevada

Posted by Neil Shouse | Jan 02, 2013 | 0 Comments

Over New Year's Eve, the Nevada Highway Patrol arrested seven drivers for the Nevada crime of drunk driving. That's half as many people who were arrested for DUI by the NHP two New Year's Eves ago. Meanwhile, Reno and Sparks police arrested 11 drivers for driving under the influence this year.

The Nevada crime of driving under the influence occurs when someone operates a motor vehicle either while impaired by alcohol or drugs, or with a BAC of .08 or above. Even if someone is driving safely, he/she is still in violation of the law if his/her BAC exceeds .08. It's also a DUI if the driver's blood contains traces of certain drugs in excess of legal minimum amounts.

A first-time DUI with no injury is a misdemeanor crime. Typical punishments include a fine, a victim impact panel, DUI School, a three-month license suspension, and a suspended jail sentence. In some cases, the charge may be reduced to reckless driving.

For more on this story go to:

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California and Nevada. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Regain peace of mind...

Our defense attorneys understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to zealously and discreetly protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370