Los Angeles, CA 90036
Charged with a crime in Los Angeles?
If you've been arrested in Los Angeles, California, you've come to the right place for help. Our experienced Los Angeles criminal defense attorneys are passionate about defending people accused of infractions, misdemeanors or felonies throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Vigorous defense of your rights
The Shouse Law Group defends people against every type of Los Angeles criminal charge, including:
- Los Angeles assault and battery
- Los Angeles auto theft
- Los Angeles domestic violence
- Los Angeles drug crimes
- Los Angeles DUI
- Los Angeles gang crimes
- Los Angeles juvenile crime
- Los Angeles lewd conduct
- Los Angeles robbery
- Los Angeles sex crimes
- Los Angeles grand and petty theft (including Los Angeles shoplifting) and
- All other Los Angeles criminal offenses.
We know how the LAPD and the prosecutors from the Los Angeles District Attorney's offices construct their cases. We understand how they think.
Our Los Angeles DUI and criminal defense lawyers know how to negotiate with the DA. But we are also not afraid to take a Los Angeles criminal case to trial in front of a jury. We have a proven success record of doing what is best for our clients. Contact us today to find out why our lawyers are considered some of the best Los Angeles DUI lawyers and the best criminal defense attorneys in Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles arrest process
Law enforcement agencies operating in Los Angeles include:
- The Los Angeles Police Department (in the city of Los Angeles),
- The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department (in unincorporated areas, such as West Hollywood),
- The California Highway Patrol,
- The Los Angeles Port Police.
An arrest can occur either when:
- The police come to your home or office to arrest you based on a warrant, or
- The police arrest you on the spot for allegedly committing a crime.
If the police arrest you on a misdemeanor charge, they may simply issue you a citation for a court appearance. Otherwise, they will take you to a local city or county jail or a central facility for booking. Once you have been booked, one of three things will happen:
- You will be released on your own recognizance (known as an "O.R." release),
- You will be required to post bail, or
- You will be taken to court to be formally charged (“arraignment”).
If you are an adult male and required to remain in jail, you will usually be held at:
- the Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail,
- the Los Angeles Twin Towers Facility, or
- the Pitchess Detention Center.
Female inmates are generally held at the Century Regional Detention Facility.
Juveniles arrested in Los Angeles are customarily taken to Eastlake Juvenile Hall (formerly known as the Central Juvenile Hall), located at 1605 Eastlake Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90033.
Los Angeles bail and arraignment
The police have 48 hours from booking you to take you before a judge, if necessary. However, if you are booked late on a Friday, you might not be arraigned until Monday.
Bail is set according to the Los Angeles County bail schedule based on the crime(s) for which you were arrested. If you cannot make bail (or in the rare case in which you are denied it), the police will transport you to the Los Angeles Superior Court.
There are a number of different Los Angeles courthouses. If you have been released on your own recognizance, be sure to check your citation to see where you are required to appear.
The Los Angeles bail and arraignment process can be overwhelming and confusing. Our compassionate Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers are here to help you through it.
Free consultation with a top Los Angeles criminal attorney
If you or a loved one has been charged with a crime in Los Angeles, we invite you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. One of our experienced defense attorneys will get back to you promptly to review your case and discuss possible defenses and legal strategies.
Whether you are looking for the best Los Angeles DUI lawyer or an experienced Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer to help you fight serious felony charges, we can help.