How to get a "P-1 Visa" in Las Vegas, Nevada

P-1 visas permit internationally recognized foreign athletes, artists and entertainers to come to the U.S. to work at a specific (1) event, (2) competition or (3) performance. P-1 visas are non-immigrant work visas, and the employer must be a U.S. company or an international company acting through a U.S. agent.

In Las Vegas, P-1 visas are routinely extended to boxers to compete in casino-hosted prize fights like MGM Fight Week and international pop-stars to perform at the Thomas & Mack or other stadiums.

Below our Las Vegas "P-1 Visa" attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about entertainment visas in Nevada.

Also see our article on O-1 visas in Nevada.

P-1 visas are meant for world famous athletes, artists, and entertainers.

1. Am I eligible for a P-1 visa?

In order to qualify for a P-1 visa, the foreigner has to be an internationally recognized sportsman, artist, or performer traveling to the U.S. in order to work for payment or to compete for prize money. There are two classes of P-1 visas:

  • P-1A visas:  Internationally recognized athlete
  • P-1B visas:  Member of an internationally recognized entertainment group

Common evidence of an athlete's or artist's international acclaim include awards, records, world records, ticket sales, social media followings. 

Note that P-1B visa-holders (entertainers) are required to perform as a group. Only P-1A visa-holders (athletes) can perform individually.

2. What is the application process for a P-1 visa in Las Vegas?

The U.S. employer has to petition United States Citizenship and Services (USCIS) on behalf of the artist or athlete by submitting an I-129 form. This petition should also include a consultation with the appropriate labor organization about the nature of the work the foreigner is expected to do.

3. What is the time frame for getting a P-1 visa?

Two to eight weeks.

P-1 visas can last up to 5 years, but it can be extended to up to 10 years.

4. When do P-1 visas expire?

P-1 visas last for up to five years, but it can be extended to up to 10 years.

5. What is the fee for a P-1 visa?


6. Can my spouse and children accompany me on a P-1 visa to Nevada?

Yes, the P-1 visa-holder's husband/wife and kids under 21 may accompany them to the U.S. on a P-4 visa. Note that P-4 visa holders cannot work in the U.S, but they can go to school full-time.

7. Can I go to school on a P-1 visa?

Yes, P-1 visa holders may go to school part-time.

8. Can I leave the U.S. on a P-1 visa?


Call a Nevada immigration attorney...

If you are seeking a P-1 visa in Nevada or another immigration service, call us for a consultation at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673). Our Las Vegas immigration attorneys are here to help.

Go to our Nevada visa law main page.

Note that Nevada has two immigration offices: Las Vegas immigration office, and Reno immigration office. Immigration cases are handled in Las Vegas Immigration Court.  


Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370