Our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers can provide dedicated help if you were injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles or the greater southern Californian area. As a major port city and transportation hub, the Los Angeles region sees more than a thousand trucking accidents each year, many of them causing serious and even fatal injuries.
Almost 100,000 large trucks are involved in injury crashes each year. If you were injured in a truck collision, you deserve fair compensation for your injuries.
Note that truck accident cases can involve:
- pickup trucks,
- commercial trucks,
- large trucks,
- semi-trucks, and
Common causes of truck accidents in the Los Angeles area include driver fatigue, poor weather, lack of training, and negligence by the drivers of passenger vehicles. Examples of truck accident injuries include head and neck injuries, back injuries, and broken bones.
If your truck accident left you injured, a Los Angeles truck accident attorney can file a truck accident lawsuit on your behalf. A lawyer will often file a suit against:
- negligent drivers,
- trucking companies and other members of the trucking industry,
- track manufacturers (in product liability cases),
- property owners (in premises liability cases), and
- governmental entities.
In addition to filing a lawsuit, your truck accident lawyer can help by:
- managing your ongoing medical care and medical treatment,
- filing a truck accident claim with the appropriate insurance company,
- negotiating an injury claim on your behalf, and
- maximizing the financial compensation for injuries.
The Shouse Law Group is a California-based personal injury law firm (with offices in Los Angeles) that represents people in truck accident cases. Our experienced truck accident attorneys work tirelessly for all our clients and seek to get you the biggest settlement possible. Call our legal team today to get the legal representation you deserve.
What are common causes and injuries in truck accident cases?
Unfortunately, truck accidents occur all too frequently in the State of California and across the U.S. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were more than 4,300 large truck and bus accident fatalities in 2015. Another 87,000 large truck accidents took place in the same year.1
Common causes of truck and big rig accidents include:
- hazardous road conditions,
- poor weather,
- inadequate training,
- improperly maintained vehicles,
- mechanical failures,
- pressure from a trucking company, and
- driver fatigue or tired truckers.
Note that sometimes truck drivers help contribute to their own commercial truck accidents. Please know that truck accident victims can still likely recover compensation in these cases. However, the final payout will get reduced in accordance with California’s laws on comparative negligence.
California truck accidents can lead to serious injuries (including catastrophic injuries). Common injuries include:
- brain injury (including traumatic brain injury),
- whiplash and other neck injuries,
- back injuries and spinal cord injuries,
- broken bones, and
Who can injured truck drivers sue in these injury cases?
If you were injured in a truck or semi-truck accident, your personal injury attorney can file a lawsuit or truck accident claim against any of the following parties:
- truck manufacturers (for example, if they failed to comply with pertinent safety regulations),
- trucking companies
- property owners,
- governmental entities, and
- drivers who negligently cause car accidents/auto accidents.
If successful in a suit, you can receive compensation for:
- medical bills and medical expenses,
- lost wages,
- lost earning capacity,
- property damage, and
- pain and suffering.
If someone was killed in a truck accident, the party’s surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the party responsible for causing the accident. Damages can include (but are not limited to):
- burial and funeral expenses,
- amounts the deceased would have earned as income, and
- compensation for the loss of the deceased’s companionship and support. 2
What is the role of a personal injury lawyer in a truck accident case?
Attorneys are of enormous importance in these cases. For example, they can:
- assess your medical needs and help you secure medical care,
- assist in managing your ongoing medical treatment,
- communicate with medical providers to obtain your medical records,
- protect your legal rights,
- gather evidence (for example, police reports) to help identify liable parties,
- appoint experts to assist in interpreting this evidence or explaining it to a judge or jury,
- file a personal injury claim with the insurance company and negotiate the claim with the applicable insurance adjuster, and
- file lawsuits in personal injury cases and work to receive favorable verdicts.
What are the benefits of a Los Angeles trucking accident attorney?
Truck accident lawyers help you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries.
They know and understand the true value of a case. This means a lawyer will fight until all liable parties have paid their fair share for your damages.
Injury attorneys can also find hidden value in a case. As a result, they will help you maximize your final payout.
Further, your truck accident lawyer will manage your case from the minute he/she accepts it. You can then focus on your health and healing from your injuries.
Almost all personal injury lawyers provide free case evaluations. This means you can get all of your legal questions answered without spending a dime.
Note that the communications between you and your lawyer are protected by the attorney-client relationship. The result is that your lawyer cannot disclose your communications without first getting your consent.
For additional help…
If you or a loved one was injured in a trucking accident, we invite you to contact our law offices at the Shouse Law Group. Our California car accident lawyers and legal team provide both free consultations and legal advice you can trust.
We work tirelessly to get you the maximum compensation available for your case.
- FMCSA Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2015.
- See, for example, California Civil Jury Instructions (CACI) 3921.