Our Las Vegas Nevada medical malpractice lawyers take our clients’ doctors to task in pursuit of the biggest financial settlement possible. If you or a loved one was injured by their physician in Nevada — or if your loved one died from a doctor’s negligence — you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills,
- Lost wages,
- Loss of future earnings,
- Physical and occupational rehabilitation,
- Pain and suffering,
- Counseling for physical or emotional distress, and/or
- Wrongful death
Insurance companies may try to make your case go away with an insultingly small settlement. But our tireless Nevada personal injury lawyers make it clear that we are not going anywhere until we have fought for the highest settlement allowable.
For a discussion on the legal processes involved in bringing a claim, refer to our article how to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in Nevada.
What does a Las Vegas medical malpractice attorney do?
Our Las Vegas medical malpractice attorneys have a singular endgame in mind: To fight for the maximum possible settlement. While you focus on healing, your family, and moving on with your life, our attorneys are busy with the following:
- Gathering evidence favorable to your claims, such as medical records and eyewitness accounts;
- Assembling a team of expert medical witnesses that can testify that your doctors committed professional negligence;
- Monitoring your medical care and treatment;
- Negotiating strategically with the doctors’ insurance companies;
- Dealing with all the legal paperwork and court filings; and
- Preparing for trial if negotiations do not yield an acceptable settlement
And we do all of this for no payment unless we win your case.
Can I bring a lawsuit without an attorney?
After being injured by medical professionals you trusted, it is only natural to fear that attorneys will disappoint you also. But you are strongly cautioned against bringing a medical malpractice claim on your own.
Suing doctors for medical negligence is a very specialized practice area of the law with specific rules and regulations. Getting just one procedure wrong could jeopardize your whole case. So it is best to rely on an experienced personal injury law firm to handle the matter for you.
Furthermore, you are in no condition to orchestrate a lawsuit while you are recovering from your injuries. The doctor’s legal team will do everything to bury you in paperwork, delay proceedings, and take advantage of your lack of legal experience. You should be relying on your legal team to manage the case for you so you can center all your attention on healing.
Is there a cap on medical malpractice damages in Nevada?
As of 2024, Nevada law puts a $430,000 cap on non-economic damages in medical malpractice cases.1 Non-economic damages include incalculable losses such as:
- pain and suffering,
- disfigurement and scarring, and
- loss of enjoyment of life.
There is no damages cap on plaintiffs’ economic damages in Nevada medical malpractice cases. Economic damages include calculable expenses such as:
- medical expenses,
- lost wages, and
- loss of future earnings.
Note that the pain and suffering damages cap for Nevada medical malpractice cases increases with each year:
|Medical negligence damage cap in Nevada
Starting in 2029, the cap will increase by 2.1% annually.2
Why should I hire a Nevada medical malpractice attorney?
Your doctor’s or dentist’s insurance company has one mission: Not to pay you. At every turn, they will argue that you were already injured or that your injuries had nothing to do with your doctor.
But by hiring a Nevada personal injury attorney, you are fighting fire with fire. We will hold your doctor to account and not quit until we have pursued every penny available to you under Nevada law.
The stakes following a professional malpractice injury are huge. The settlement your doctor pays you can be the difference between never having to work again and never being able to retire. By hiring experienced professionals who have your best interest at heart, you are maximizing the odds of the largest settlement possible.3
Are you a victim of medical malpractice? Whether you suffered injuries from a misdiagnosis, surgical error, or other medical error, our Super Lawyer-rated attorneys are here to help. Our Las Vegas medical malpractice lawyers have years of experience fighting for the highest possible settlement in personal injury cases. There is a statute of limitations to file a claim, so contact our law office today.
Our attorneys also practice criminal defense and product liability law.
- NRS 41A.035. This cap on non-economic damages applies even in serious cases such as birth injury lawsuits or brain injury lawsuits.
- AB 404 (2023). In 2023, the pain and suffering damages cap in Nevada medical malpractice cases was $350,000.
- See also Szymborski v. Spring Mt. Treatment Ctr. (2017) 133 Nev. 638. See also Montanez v. Sparks Family Hosp., Inc. (2021) 499 P.3d 1189.