How to apply for DACA in California

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) allows some aliens who came to the United States as children to avoid deportation and receive temporary immigration status.

DACA does not guarantee lawful permanent residence (a "green card") or naturalization as a U.S. citizen.

On September 5, 2017, The Trump administration announced it was terminating DACA. 
However, on January 9, 2018, a federal judge in California issued a nationwide injunction ordering the administration to resume the program. As a result, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services has stated that for the time being "DACA will be operated on the same terms in place before it was rescinded." 

People who previously had been granted deferred action can request a renewal if the deferred action expired on or before September 5, 2016. People who had been granted DACA, but whose deferred action expired before September 5, 2016 can file a new request.

Aliens can check for the most recent updates on the "Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)" page on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

What Can I Do if I Am a DACA Recipient?

DACA recipients who have received advance parole can leave and reenter the United States now. For a married DACA recipient who has not yet gotten advance parole, a 601a waiver is an option.

Our office offers free consultations to help "Dreamers" consider their legal options and avoid deportation.

To help you better understand the benefits of deferred action and the process for obtaining DACA relief, our California immigration lawyers discuss the following, below:

For other ways to stay in the U.S. legally, please see our articles on temporary protected status (TPS), asylum in the U.S., humanitarian parole, and cancellation of removal.

multi-ethnic college students with their hands in a stack

1. Who is eligible under "DACA"?

To qualify for DACA relief, aliens must meet certain conditions set forth by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Eligible aliens can apply for relief regardless of whether they are or have ever been in deportation or removal proceedings or they are subject to a final order of removal.

The conditions for DACA eligibility are: 

  • The alien was under 31 years old as of June 15, 2012;
  • The alien came to the U.S. before his/her 16th birthday;
  • The alien has continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to the present;
  • The alien was present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making the request to be considered for deferred action with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
  • The alien entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or his/her lawful immigration status expired as of that date;
  • The alien is currently in school, has graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, has obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the U.S.; and
  • The alien does not pose a threat to national security or public safety and has not been convicted of:
    • A felony,
    • A significant misdemeanor, or
    • Three or more other misdemeanors. 

1.1. What counts as a “significant misdemeanor”?

For purposes of DACA, certain criminal offenses always count as a “significant misdemeanor” regardless of the sentence imposed. They are:

  • Burglary,
  • Domestic violence,
  • Sexual abuse or exploitation,
  • Unlawful possession of firearms,
  • Driving under the influence, and
  • Drug distribution/trafficking.

Other misdemeanors are considered “significant” under DACA only if the applicant is sentenced to more than 90 days in custody. The applicant must actually have been sentenced to custody. A suspended sentence does not count.[1]

1.2. How does travel abroad affect DACA eligibility?

Certain travel abroad may negatively impact DACA's “continuous presence” requirement.

Traveling outside the U.S. before August 15, 2012 has no impact if the travel was brief, casual, and innocent.

If, however, an otherwise eligible alien traveled outside the U.S. after August 15, 2012 and before the request for deferred action was adjudicated, the alien will lose DACA eligibility.

2. How to apply for DACA in California

DACA applicants must submit three forms to USCIS along with supporting documentation and the filing fee of $495 no later than September 5, 2017:

  1. Form I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals;
  2. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (regardless of whether you intend to work in the U.S.); and
  3. Form I-765 worksheet.

Current DACA recipients who are eligible to renew their status must do so no later than October 5, 2017.

3. How much does DACA cost?

The cost to file for DACA, including employment authorization and biometric services, is $495. This fee cannot be waived.

4. How long does it take to get deferred action?

It takes approximately 90 days to receive a positive response once a Form I-892d has been properly filed.

USCIS will initially confirm receipt of the application by sending a Form I-797C, Notice of Action. A DACA applicant should receive this notice approximately 2-3 weeks after filing.

If the Form I-821D is incomplete or the alien does not qualify, USCIS may send a rejection of the petition a request for additional information or evidence.

5. Can I work once my application is approved?

Yes. Once USCIS has granted deferred action and issued an employment authorization document (EAD), the applicant may legally work in the U.S.

Need help entering or staying in the U.S.? Call us…

california immigration attorneys daca
Call us for help at (855) LAW-FIRM

If you or someone you know needs assistance entering or staying in the U.S., we invite you to contact us for a free consultation.

Our caring California immigration attorneys have helped numerous aliens achieve their dream of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence (green card) or immigrant or non-immigrant status.

We may even be able to help if you have been convicted of a “deportable” crime or an “inadmissible” criminal offense.

To schedule your free consultation, call us at (855) LAWFIRM or complete the form on this page.

Don't lose hope -- there are many ways to remain in the U.S. lawfully. DACA is just one.

Legal references:

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370