Can I refuse to let the cops search my home?

Posted by Neil Shouse | May 05, 2015 | 0 Comments

It depends on the situation.

If the police knock on your door, ask if they have a warrant. If the police can produce the search warrant signed by a judge, then it is usually best to let them in.

If the police do not have a warrant, then you usually do not have to let them in. If the police ask for your consent without a warrant, be sure to kindly say no. Note that if a homeowner gives police his/her consent to search, the police then no longer need a warrant to carry out the search.

Also note there are some "exigent" circumstances where police may lawfully search homes without a warrant. This occurs when either:

  • The police have a reasonable belief that someone inside the home may be injured, or
  • The police are in hot pursuit of a fleeing felon who just ran into your home

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370