June 22, 2020 update: President Trump temporarily suspended several new work visas, including H-1B visas. Read the New York Times article.
Foreigners with full-time job offers in California may be able to immigrate to the U.S. on an EB-3 (employment-based, preference 3) visa if they qualify as either:
- skilled workers,
- professionals, or
- other workers, such as unskilled workers.
In California, common occupations for immigrants with EB-3 visas are teachers, graphic designers, and housekeepers.
In this article, our California immigration lawyers discuss EB-3 immigrant visas in California, including application procedures, fees, and time frames. Click on a question to jump to the question:
- 1. Who qualifies for EB-3 visas in Los Angeles, CA?
- 2. What is the application process for an EB-3 visa in Los Angeles, CA?
- 3. What is the cost of an EB-3 visa?
- 4. How soon can I get an EB-3 visa?
- 5. Can my family come with me to California on an EB-3 visa?
Eligible non-citizens for EB-3 visas may be either of the following:
- Skilled Workers: Foreigners whose job mandates at least two (2) years of training or work experience;
- Professionals: Foreigners whose job mandates a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or an international equivalent); or
- Other Workers: Foreigners who perform unskilled labor that mandates less than two (2) years or vocational training or work experience.
Note that EB-3 visas are not meant for temporary or seasonal workers, only for foreigners with full-time job offers in the U.S.
The U.S. employer has to file an I-140 Form with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Finally, the U.S. employer has to show the USCIS that they have the funds to pay the foreign worker. As proof, the employer typically produces tax returns.
There is a $345 fee to get an EB-3 visa.
It takes twelve (12) to eighteen (18) months to get an EB-3 visa.
Possibly. The only family members that can immigrate to the U.S. through an EB-3 visa are the foreign worker’s spouse and unmarried child(ren) under 21.
Call a California immigration attorney…
Are you a foreign skilled worker, professional, or unskilled laborer with a job prospect in California? You may be able to come to the U.S. on an EB-3 visa. Call immigration attorneys at for a free consultation.
Go to our California visa main page.
Also learn about our Nevada EB-3 visa lawyers.