How to search if I have a warrant in Denver, Colorado?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Aug 12, 2019 | 0 Comments

Go to the Denver County Court Warrant Search website. Enter your first name, last name, and date of birth to see if there are any active warrants. 

If you have a warrant, you may be arrested at any time. If the charges are serious, the police may be out looking for you. Otherwise, you risk being arrested whenever you get pulled over for a traffic violation and the police run your name.

Contact a criminal defense attorney right away if you have an active warrant. The attorney may be able to get the warrant recalled or else orchestrate a surrender so you avoid a dramatic arrest scene at your home or place of work.

Recalling arrest warrants in Colorado

Colorado arrests warrants are what judges issue when they believe there is "probable cause" that a particular person committed a crime. Judges base their decisions on evidence ("the information") that the police present to the judge. In rare cases, a grand jury and not a judge makes the decision about whether a suspect should be arrested -- this is called an indictment.

In some situations, it may be possible to get an arrest warrant recalled if the suspect's defense attorney can show the prosecutors that there is insufficient probable cause to support the warrant. Otherwise, the defense attorney may be able to contact the prosecutors and arrange for a formal surrender:

A formal surrender would relieve the suspect from being unexpectedly arrested in public or at home. And depending on the circumstances, the defense attorney may be able to arrange for a "walk-through" where the suspect gets formally booked but then immediately released on bail or a PR bond (own recognizance release).

Quashing bench warrants in Colorado

Colorado bench warrants are what judges issue when a person disobeys a court order. A common reason judges issue bench warrants is that a defendant or witness in a case failed to appear at a mandatory court hearing. 

As with people with arrest warrants, people with bench warrants may be arrested at any time as long as the warrant is active. Depending on the terms of the warrant, the judge can then order that the person remain in jail until they post bail. In some cases, the person may be required to stay in jail pending the outcome of the underlying case.

In most situations, the police will not go out and try to find and arrest the person named in the warrant. But it is still a good idea to try to get the warrant "quashed" (recalled) as soon as possible:

A criminal defense attorney can file a motion with the court to quash the warrant. The judge would then hold a hearing where the defense attorney would argue why the judge should quash the warrant and allow the person to remain free. Depending on the case, the person named in the warrant may have to appear in court with the defense attorney.

Judge's are more likely to quash bench warrants if the person does not have a history of bench warrants and missing court appearances. But people who have a long track record of defying court orders may have a difficult time persuading the judge to give them another chance.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

A former Los Angeles prosecutor, attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT). He has been featured on CNN, Good Morning America, Dr Phil, Court TV, The Today Show and Court TV. Mr Shouse has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Criminal and Top 100 Civil Attorneys.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370