Can I be fired in California for crossdressing at work?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Oct 03, 2016 | 0 Comments

California's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Government Code 12940, prohibits employment discrimination or harassment based on gender, gender identity, or gender expression.

Some cities have passed their own regulations protecting gender identity and expression in the workplace. The city and county of San Francisco, for instance, has issued guidelines that include:

  • Employers have the right to implement employee dress codes including those according to gender.
  • Transgender employees have the right to comply with sex-specific dress codes according to their gender identity.

Employees may also be able to bring harassment claims if they are required to wear provocative or suggestive clothing such as short or tight skirts when other employees aren't. This right extends to "stereotyping" claims based on genders, such as men being forbidden from wearing make-up or jewelry.

California Government Code 12941 specifically affords female employees the right to wear pants, except when:

  • An employer requires employees in a particular occupation to wear a uniform;
  • An employer requires an employee to wear a costume while that employee is portraying a specific character or dramatic role; or
  • The council has exempted an employer from the requirements of [section 12941] for good cause shown.

Remedies for a violation of California discrimination laws include hiring, front pay, back pay, promotion, reinstatement, cease-and-desist orders, expert witness fees, reasonable attorney's fees and costs, punitive damages, and emotional distress damages.

In addition to discrimination, disparate dress code standards can also subject employers to potential liability for sexual harassment. Note that California law also protects people who are not necessarily expressing gender identity but dress as the opposite sex unless there is a valid business reason not to.

Job applicants and employees who believe they have experienced wrongful discrimination may also file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Complaints must be filed within one year of the last act of discrimination/harassment or, for victims who are under the age of 18, not later than one year after the victim's eighteenth birthday.

For more information contact (800) 884-1684; TTY (800) 700-2320; [email protected]; or (Also see our article about crossdressing at work in Nevada.)

About the Author

Neil Shouse

A former Los Angeles prosecutor, attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT). He has been featured on CNN, Good Morning America, Dr Phil, Court TV, The Today Show and Court TV. Mr Shouse has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Criminal and Top 100 Civil Attorneys.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370