When can I seal my juvenile record in Nevada?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Dec 30, 2014 | 0 Comments

It depends. Most juvenile delinquencies are automatically sealed once the person turns 21. And some records may never be sealed...

When someone gets adjudged delinquent as a juvenile in Nevada, the delinquency goes on that child's juvenile record. When the child turns 21, the delinquencies will be automatically sealed from his/her record UNLESS the charges involved:

  • rape
  • battery with intent to rape
  • lewdness with a child
  • any other violent felony (or threat to use violence)

For these above charges, the child has the burden of petitioning the juvenile court to seal the record in Nevada. And if any of these charges are still on the child's record by the time he/she reaches 21, he/she will need to wait until age 30 to ask to the juvenile court to seal it. And even then, the court may choose not to seal it, especially if the child has picked up other offenses as an adult.

Note that children can try to petition the Nevada juvenile court to get their juvenile records sealed prior to turning age 21. However, children must wait at least 3 years from the time they are adjudged delinquent before asking for the court for the record seal. Read more information on sealing juvenile records in Nevada.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370