What kinds of activities can be "unauthorized practice of medicine" in California?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Jun 23, 2014 | 0 Comments

The answer is: more than we can list here, and probably more than you think.

Business & Professions Code 2052 makes it a crime to practice medicine without a license in California. But this law covers far more territory than just doing a doctor's or nurse's job without the proper professional license.

For example, California "unauthorized practice of medicine" charges could be brought against you if you offer any of the following services without a license:

  • Hypnosis for treatment of physical or mental conditions like obesity or insomnia,
  • Acupuncture, and
  • California medical marijuana consultations.

In addition, it is a violation of California's unauthorized practice of medicine laws to own or otherwise get a share of profits from a medical practice, if you are not a licensed medical professional. (For information on assisted suicide, read our article, "Can I assist my parents in ending their lives under California law?"

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370