What are the Penalties for Aiding and Abetting a Crime in Los Angeles?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Apr 04, 2016 | 0 Comments

If you are convicted of aiding and abetting a crime under Penal Code 31 PC, you will receive the same punishment as someone who actually committed that crime.

This is because "aiding and abetting" is not actually a separate crime under the California Penal Code. Instead, as Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers know, it is a legal principle under which responsibility for a crime is shared equally among everybody who participated in perpetrating it.

So, if you aid and abet a crime, you are basically considered to have perpetrated that crime--and will face the same consequences as the person who actually committed it.

Here is an example: let's say a woman is planning to commit burglary of her neighbor's house. She lets her boyfriend know about her plans. He tells her he thinks that's a great idea and gives her some tools that she can use to break into the house. Under PC 31, California's aiding and abetting law, both the woman and her boyfriend will face criminal penalties under PC 459, California's burglary law.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370