Nevada Car Accident Laws - Legal Obligations After a Collision

Nevada car accident law
imposes five legal duties on drivers involved in a motor vehicle collision:

  1. Stop and exchange contact and insurance information;
  2. Move out of traffic;
  3. Help anyone who has been injured;
  4. Notify the police if someone was injured; and
  5. For serious accidents, report the accident to the DMV (unless the police already reported it)

These obligations apply to all types of automobile accidents, including:

People who flee the scene of an accident risk getting charged with the Nevada crime of hit and run (NRS 484E.010).

To help you better understand your legal duties after a vehicle accident in Nevada, our Las Vegas personal injury lawyers discuss the following:

young man on his cell phone after a car accident
Nevada drivers have a duty to take certain steps following an accident.

1. What must I legally do right after a Nevada car accident?

Getting into a car accident is incredibly traumatic, and it is difficult to think straight. Even still, the drivers involved are required to take the following steps immediately following the collision:

  • Stop and give the other driver contact and insurance information;1
  • Move the cars out of traffic if it is safe to do so;2 and
  • Give reasonable assistance to anyone injured in the crash (such as arranging for the person to be taken to a doctor or hospital if it appears that treatment is necessary).3

If you hit an unoccupied vehicle, you must either locate the owner or leave your name and contact information securely in a conspicuous place. Many people in this situation leave their business card with a written note on the windshield.4

2. Do I need to notify the police after an accident?

Nevada law requires you to notify the police or the Nevada Highway Patrol if you are involved in a crash in which anyone is killed or injured. The best way to contact the police is to call 911.5

You do not need to call a police or highway patrol officer if an officer is already on the scene or you are too injured to do so.

3. When must I report a car accident to the DMV?

You must submit a Nevada DMV Report of Traffic Accident Report (SR-1) within 10 days of an accident if:

  • Anyone was injured or killed, or
  • There appears to be $750 or more in damage to any vehicle or property.6

However, you do not need to report the accident to the DMV if a Nevada Highway Patrol or police officer submitted an accident report that included the driver's contact and insurance information (including policy number and coverage dates).7

If you are not sure whether a police report contained this information, it is best to submit a DMV report yourself out of an abundance of caution.

DMV sign
Minor fender-benders that cause less than $750 in property damage and no injuries do not need to be reported to the Nevada DMV.

People who willfully fail to report an accident as legally required will face having their driver's license suspended for one (1) year. The suspension period can end early if either:

  • The driver finally files the crash report, or
  • The driver produces evidence that his/her failure to report was not willful

Note that people who knowingly give false information in a crash report face prosecution for a gross misdemeanor in Nevada. It makes no difference if the false information is given verbally, electronically, or in written form. The penalties carry:

  • Up to 364 days in jail, and/or
  • Up to $2,000 in fines8

4. Do I need to report accidents to my auto insurer?

Most insurance policies require that you notify them whenever you are involved in an accident. However, many people choose not to notify their insurer when:

  • They hit a stationary object (other than a motor vehicle), and they are willing to pay for car repairs themselves, or
  • No one else is injured in the crash, and the responsible party is willing to pay for any property damage to the vehicle(s).

But if a police officer arrives at the scene and makes a report -- or if anyone was slightly injured -- you should consider reporting the accident. Not reporting the accident could impact your insurer's obligations under your policy.

When accidents result from the Nevada crime of drunk driving, the driver charged with DUI will need to get an "SR-22" from his/her insurance company to get the driver's license reinstated. An SR-22 in Nevada is the driver's "proof of financial responsibility" that verifies that the driver carries the minimum liability coverage required to keep a driver's license in Nevada.

5. When can I be charged with a hit and run?

Willfully fleeing the scene of an accident in Nevada can result in criminal charges for hit and run.  

Hit and run is a misdemeanor in Nevada when the accident results only in property damage. The penalties include:

  • Up to six (6) months in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000; and
  • Six (6) Nevada demerit points to your license

However, failure to stop at a crash scene in which someone gets injured or dies is a category B felony in Nevada. It can be punished by:

Note that felony hit and run is not eligible for a probationary sentence. In addition, the defendant's driver's license may be revoked.

6. If the other driver was at fault, can I sue?

Yes, though most car crash cases can resolve without a lawsuit ever being filed. Your personal injury attorney would first contact the other driver's insurance company, and they may be able to hash out a settlement that covers all of your:

Note that you still may be entitled to money damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident. Under Nevada's comparative negligence laws, the defendant in a car crash case is liable as long as the defendant was at least 50% to blame.10

Also note that evidence is crucial to prevailing in a car accident lawsuit. Be sure to take pictures of any property damage and your injuries. Go to a doctor for your injuries as soon as possible, and never skip an appointment. Also, document everything that happened during the accident -- your memory may fade over time, and you do not want to forget any important details.

Receptionists waiting for your call.
Call our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys at 702-DEFENSE for a FREE consultation today.

In a Nevada car accident? Call us for help...

For further information or help with your case, contact us at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673).

Also see our related article on Nevada rear-end collisions.

Legal references:

  1. NRS 484E.010; NRS 484E.020; Clancy v. State, 129 Nev. 840, 313 P.3d 226 (2013) (Actual physical contact between two vehicles is not required for a person to be involved in an accident under the statute).
  2. NRS 484E.020.
  3. NRS 484E.030.
  4. NRS 484E.040.
  5. NRS 484E.030 (2).
  6. NRS 484E.070 (2).
  7. NRS 484E.010.
  8. NRS 484E.070 (3).
  9. NRS 484E.070.
  10. NRS 41.141.





Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370