Injured by "Risperdal" in Nevada?
How to file a lawsuit

Men prescribed the anti-psychotic drug Risperdal (risperidone) are at risk of developing breasts. These patients may be able to sue Risperdal's manufacturer for negligence and pursue compensatory damages for:

Nevada Risperdal victims may bring a negligence lawsuit within two (2) years after their injury. Discontinuing Risperdal can be problematic and should be done under a physician's supervision and guidance.

In this article, our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about Risperdal lawsuits in Nevada, such as negligence claims, burdens of proof, and statutes of limitations. Click on a topic to jump to that section:

Risperdal can lead to male breast growth.

1. What can I do if I got injured by Risperdal in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Men who grew breasts after taking Risperdal may be able to file a negligence suit against the drug's manufacturer and marketer. The plaintiff (victim) in negligence lawsuits has the burden to prove the following four elements:

  1. The defendant(s) owed the plaintiff a duty of care;
  2. The defendant(s) breached this duty;
  3. This breach caused the plaintiff's injury; and
  4. This injury resulted in damages.1

Plaintiffs bringing a negligence lawsuit against Risperdal's manufacturer would probably claim that it failed to notify doctors of the potential side effect of developing breasts. Had they known, they might have elected not to take the drug.

1.1. Risperdal injuries

Risperdal oral

The most notable Risperdal side effect is gynecomastia, the development of breasts in males. This is because Risperdal increases the hormone prolactin, which is involved in breast development.2

2. What money can I get if I am injured by Risperdal in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Plaintiffs bringing a Risperdal lawsuit would seek compensatory damages for:

  1. Doctor's bills,
  2. Pain and suffering arising from developing breasts,
  3. Lost wages, and/or
  4. Loss of future earnings

The plaintiff's attorney can discuss with the plaintiff whether it may be worthwhile to seek punitive damages as well, which can be far larger than compensatory damages.

3. Whom can I sue for my Risperdal injuries in Las Vegas, Nevada?

The primary Risperdal defendant is the drug's manufacturer, Janssen Pharmaceutical. Plaintiffs may also be able to sue companies that advertised and distributed the drug.

4. How do I prove a Risperdal claim in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Nevada negligence cases require the plaintiff to prove that it is more likely than not that the defendant was negligent. The legal term for the plaintiff's burden of proof is "preponderance of the evidence." Common evidence in Risperdal cases include:

  • The plaintiff's medical records, showing an increased breast size;
  • Expert medical testimony that explains how the Risperdal caused the breast growth; and/or
  • Risperdal marketing materials that omit the breast growth risk

Learn more in our article about proving negligence in Nevada.

5. When can I sue after my Risperdal injuries in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Risperdal 20pills

Victims may bring a negligence lawsuit within two (2) years after developing breasts.3

6. What is Risperdal used for?

Risperdal is an anti-psychotic drug that is used to treat some psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. The FDA approved it in 1993.4

7. Has Risperdal been recalled?

There was a recall in 2011 due to a suspicious odor.5 And in 2005 the FDA issued an alert regarding the drug's increased risk of death as compared to placebos. 6

8. Xarelto resources

Rx call help4 optimized
Call our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys at 702-DEFENSE for a FREE consultation.

Call a Nevada personal injury attorney...

Have you developed breasts after taking Risperdal in Nevada? Our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys will fight for a settlement to cover your expenses, especially pain and suffering. Contact us at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a consultation free of charge. You pay us zero unless we win your case.

Legal References:

  1. See, e.g. Scialabba v. Brandise Const. Co., 112 Nev. 965, 921 P.2d 928 (1996).
  2. Men to sue over drug that made them grow breasts by Nick Valencia, CNN, (December 14, 2016).
  3. NRS 11.190.
  4. Risperdal official site.
  5. Daniel DeNoon, Antipsychotic Drug Risperdal Recalled Because of Odor, WebMD (June 20, 2011).
  6. FDA Alert for Healthcare Professionals: Risperdal (April 11, 2005).

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370