Getting a "visa" for immigration or travel to Las Vegas, Nevada

When a foreign citizen wants to enter the U.S., he/she is generally required to obtain a visa. There are approximately 185 types, each with its own application procedures, interview requirements, processing times, fees, expiration dates, and rules. The visa is issued by the foreigner's own country and will become part of his/her passport.

Below our Las Vegas, Nevada visa attorneys discuss how foreign citizens may travel or immigrate to the U.S. In general, visas are divided into two main categories.

Note that the U.S. port-of-entry for foreigners flying into Las Vegas is LAX Airport. That is where Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officers determine whether the foreigner is ultimately admitted.

Visa 20application

1. Immigrant Visas in Las Vegas, Nevada

Foreign citizens seeking an immigrant visa typically must obtain a sponsor that has petitioned and been approved by the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). This sponsor has to be a U.S. citizen relative, a U.S. lawful permanent resident, or a prospective employer.

Once the appropriate petition has been completed and approved by USCIS, the next step is to complete preliminary processing with the Department of State's National Visa Center. At this point, the foreigner will be required to provide:

  • An affidavit of support;
  • Any and all required applicant documents (birth certificate, marriage certificates, police reports);
  • Medical exam and physician information; and
  • Complete the necessary interviews for consular processing and give biometrics.

The most common immigrant classifications are (i) family-based and (ii) employment-based:

i. Immigrant relative and family-sponsored

  • Spousal visa: For foreigners with a spouse who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. Note that the U.S. makes no distinction between opposite-sex and same-sex marriage visas.

Also read our article about immigration through adoption.

ii. Employment-based

  • EB-1 visa: For outstanding researchers or professors.
  • EB-2 visa: For professionals holding advanced degrees (or their equivalent) and individuals sought by the U.S. for their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business that will substantially benefit the U.S.'s economy, cultural or educational interests, or welfare.
  • EB-3 visa: For skilled workers, professionals, and other workers.
  • EB-4 visa: For religious workers, broadcasters, armed force members, Afghan and Iraqi translators, and more.
  • EB-5 visa: For foreign entrepreneurs and investors.

Note that the U.S. currently operates a Diversity Visa Lottery, where foreigners otherwise ineligible for an immigrant visa may enter to win one. This program works to ensure that visas are afforded to citizens of an assortment of countries.

2. Nonimmigrant Visas in Las Vegas, Nevada

Visa 20application 20approved

Similar to immigrant visas, the non-immigrant application process usually requires petitioning the USCIS, having an interview, and providing evidence of the foreigner's purpose in traveling to the U.S. Non-immigrant visas usually have a maximum duration of stay. Note that most Canadian travelers do not require a visa.

The majority of non-immigrant visas fall under one of the following categories:

i. Diplomacy

  • A-1 visa: For heads of state, public ministers, ambassadors, career diplomats, officers, carrier couriers, and their immediate family.
  • A-2 visa: For full-time government employees assigned to their embassy in the U.S., foreign military members assigned to a U.S. base, and their family members.
  • G visa: For government representatives attending meetings for an international organization.

ii. Business

  • B-1 visa: For people traveling on business.

iii. Tourism

  • B-2 visa: For tourists and vacationers.

iv. School and Training

v. Family

vi. Employment

  • H-1B visa: For people in specialty occupations requiring bachelor's degrees.
  • H-2B visa: For skilled or unskilled non-agricultural seasonal workers.
  • L-1 visa: For managers, executives, and people with specialized knowledge at international companies to work in their U.S. based offices.
  • L-2 visa: For dependents of L-1 visa holders, including spouses and unmarried children under 21.
  • O-1 visa: For foreigners with extraordinary ability in either the arts, movies or TV, or sciences, education, business and athletics, to engage in official activity.
  • P-1 visa: For internationally recognized foreign athletes, artists and entertainers to work at a specific event, competition or performance. 

vii. Humanitarianism

  • U visa: For victims of domestic violence, rape, trafficking, or other abuse.
  • Humanitarian parole: For people in emergency situations abroad.

In rare circumstances, an individual will not be required to present a visa in order to be admitted into the U.S. See our article on Visa Waiver in Nevada. For illegal aliens applying for a visa, see our article on provisional unlawful presence waiver.

Need a Nevada visa attorney?

If you have questions related to visas or other issues regarding immigration and are seeking legal representation, contact our Las Vegas immigration attorneys at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a FREE consultation.

See our articles on green cards and naturalization.

For information about California visa laws, go to our California visa main page.



Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370