Same-sex marriage and fiancé(e) immigration laws in
Las Vegas, Nevada

Same-sex spouses and fiancé(e)s are subject to the same immigration opportunities in Nevada as opposite-sex engaged and married couples regarding (1) visas for children, (2) application processes, (3) filing fees, (4) interview requirements, and (5) time frames. So whether gay or straight, partners who are married or planning to wed are afforded identical rights and privileges under U.S. federal immigration law.

Below our Las Vegas same-sex spousal visa attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about homosexual spousal and fiancé(s) visas in Nevada. Click on a topic to go directly to that section.

Note that Nevada maintains two immigration offices: The Las Vegas Immigration Office, and the Reno Immigration Office. Las Vegas is also the site of Las Vegas Immigration Court.

Gay 20marriage 20rings
As of 2015, same-sex couples have the same rights as opposite-sex couples in Nevada immigration law.

1. If I am a U.S. citizen in Nevada, can I sponsor my foreign same-sex husband/wife for a green card?

Yes. Whether the spouses are same or opposite-sex, a U.S. citizen may file a I-130 form with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to begin the process of petitioning for a marriage visa. For specific information on application processes, time frames, costs, and the visa interview process, read our detailed article about the spousal visa process.

2. If I have a green card in Nevada, can I sponsor my foreign same-sex husband/wife for a green card?

Yes. No matter whether the spouses are same or opposite-sex, a green card holder has the same rights as U.S. citizens to petition for a spousal visa with the USCIS. For detailed information on application procedures, waiting periods, and prices, refer to our article about the spousal visa process . Also, learn more about green cards.

3. If I am a U.S. citizen, can I sponsor my foreign same-sex fiancé(e) for a green card?

Same-sex spousal visa petitions that were previously denied solely for DOMA may be reviewed anew for no extra cost.

Yes. Whether the couple is homosexual or heterosexual, U.S. citizens may file a I-129F form with the USCIS to begin the process of petitioning for a fiancé(e)s visa. For detailed instructions on application steps, time frames, and fees, go to our article about fiancé(e) visas.

4. If I have a green card, can I sponsor my foreign same-sex fiancé(e) for a green card?

No, and this holds true for opposite-sex engaged couples as well. Only U.S. citizens may sponsor their fiancé(e)s immigrating to the U.S.

5. What if my previous marriage or fiancé(e)s petitions were denied because of DOMA?

USCIS will reopen and reconsider any foreign spousal and fiancé(e) petitions previously denied because of section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which has since been found unconstitutional for discriminating against same-sex couples.  The petitioners will not need to repay any fees for this reconsideration. Read more about same-sex marriages in U.S. immigration law.

6. What if I want to immigrate my foreign same-sex spouse through my employment visa?

Foreign same-sex spouses of employment visa holder in the U.S. have the same opportunities to immigrate to the U.S. as foreign opposite-sex spouses. Learn more about employment-based visas.

7. Can can foreign children of same-sex couples immigrate to the U.S.?

Foreign children of homosexual unions have all the same opportunities as children from heterosexual unions to immigrate to the U.S.. Unmarried children under age 21 typically arrive in the U.S. via a parent's spousal visa or work visa. 

Call a Nevada immigration attorney...

If your non-citizen spouse or fiancé(e) is seeking a green card in Nevada, contact our Las Vegas immigration attorneys for a consultation on how we can help to reunite your family as soon as possible.

Learn more about Nevada immigration options such as Las Vegas Nevada visa laws, humanitarian parole in Las Vegas Nevada, Las Vegas Visa Waiver Programeducation visas in Las Vegas Nevada, and the naturalization in Las Vegas Nevada.






Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370