Applying for a K-2 "Child of Fiancé Visa" in Las Vegas, Nevada

When foreigners receive a K-1 fiancé(e) visa to come to the U.S. and get married, their children may be eligible to follow them to the United States on a K-2 visa. But in order to qualify for a K-2 visa, the child must be (1) under 21 years old, and (2) unmarried. Eventually, K-2 visa holders may be able to get a green card.

Below our Las Vegas K-2 visa attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about immigrating a child of a foreign fiancé(e) to Nevada. Click on a topic to go directly to that section.

Already married? See our article on spousal visa processes in Nevada. Also see our articles on K-1 visas in Las Vegas Nevada, K-3 visas in Las Vegas Nevada, and K-4 visas in Las Vegas Nevada.

Child 20flag

1. How can my children obtain a K-2 (child of fiancé) visa in Las Vegas, Nevada? 

A child may be eligible for a K-2 visa if:

  • the child is the son or daughter of a K-1 visa applicant (this can include step-kids and adopted kids);
  • the child is less than 21 years old and unmarried;
  • the child has no drug addictions;
  • the child has no criminal record or U.S. immigration violations; and
  • the U.S. citizen sponsoring the K-1 visa applicant and his/her child(ren) can financially support them

The process for applying for a K-2 visa is virtually identical to that of applying for a K-1 visa in Nevada. First, the sponsoring fiancé(e) submits an I-129f form to the United States Citizenship and Immigration and Services (USCIS). And if that goes through, the National Visa Center informs the foreign fiancé(e) that they may formally apply for K-1 and K-2 visas. Whether the child has to attend the visa interview depends on the rules of U.S. consulate conducting the interview.

For children of foreign spouses seeking a K-3 non-immigrant spousal visa, see our article on applying for a K-4 visa in Nevada.

Note that foreign children of same-sex couples are treated the same as children as opposite-sex couples. See our article on same-sex spousal and fiancé(e) immigration visa laws.

2. What is the time frame for getting a K-2 (child of fiancé) visa?

The USCIS takes about a six-month time frame to process K-2 visas. Once the child enters the U.S. with his/her parent, he/she has up to 90 days to adjust status to become a legal permanent resident (assuming the child's parent ended up marrying his/her fiancé(e)).

Note that children with K-2 visas do not have to arrive in the U.S. at the same time as his/her parent with a K-1 visa. K-2 visa holders usually have a year to travel to the U.S. before the visa expires.

Also note that if the child of the foreign fiancé(e) is older than 21, he/she is ineligible for a K-2 visa. Instead, he/she may have to wait until his/her parent secures a green card. At that point, the parent can file an I-130 form for the adult child to become a legal permanent resident of the United States. However, this process (called "petition for alien relative") may take longer than the K-2 visa process.

3. How much does it cost to get a K-2 (child of fiancé) visa?

Currently, the price of a K-2 visa is around $265, but there may be additional expenses for the child's medical exam. The K-2 visa fees are paid at the same time as the K-1 visa fees. 

Call a Nevada immigration attorney...

If you or a loved one is seeking to immigrate with kids to Nevada on a K-1 fiancé(e) visa and a K-2 "child of fiancé(e)" visa, call our Las Vegas immigration attorneys at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a consultation.

For other options for traveling or immigrating to the United States, see our article on Nevada visa laws. Also see our article on how to become a U.S. citizen in Nevada.






See our article on K-2 visas in California.




Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370