How to get an A-2 Visa in Las Vegas, Nevada

A-2 Visas in Nevada are non-immigrant visas issued to foreign government officials or employees who are traveling to the U.S. to carry out official duties. Unlike A-1 Visas, which are for heads of state and other higher-ups, A-2 Visas are typically issued to (1) full-time government employees assigned to their embassy in the U.S., (2) foreign military members assigned to a U.S. base, and (3) their family members.

A-2 Visas get commonly issued to foreign officials who need to travel to Nevada for governmental business and also to participate in conferences and conventions in Las Vegas. 

Below our Las Vegas "A-2 Visa" attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about diplomatic visas in Nevada. Click on a topic to go directly to that section.

Also see our articles on A-1 visas in Nevada and G Visas in Nevada.

Flags 20official
A-2 Visas are for lower-level foreign government employees and officials.

1. Am I eligible for an A-2 visa in Las Vegas, Nevada?

A-2 Visas are usually issued to the following people:

  • Full-time foreign government employees sent to work at their U.S. embassy or consulate
  • Members of a foreign military stationed at a U.S. base
  • The immediate family of A-2 visa holders
  • Other government officials not eligible for an A-1 Visa.

The A-2 Visa-holder must be traveling to the U.S. on behalf of his/her nation and for the sole purpose of government activities.

2. What is the application process for an A-2 visa?

The initial steps vary country to country, so A-2 Visa applicants should consult with their U.S. embassy or consulate for instructions. At some point, the applicant will need to fill out a DS-160 Form and a Form DS-1648 for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In some cases, he/she may need to submit to a visa interview. The applicant will also have to produce a "diplomatic note" from his/her government providing the following information about the applicant:

  • name,
  • birthday,
  • job title and duties,
  • assignment location and purpose of the assignment,
  • the dates of travel and length of stay, and
  • a description of the government official/employee's duties once in the U.S.

The diplomatic note should also include the names, DOBs, and relationships of any other family members accompanying the applicant to the U.S.

3. What is the time frame for getting an A-2 visa?

Usually, A-2 Visas are issued the same day the applicant submits the visa application.

There is no cost for an A-2 Visa application, and A-2 Visas expire when the U.S. Secretary of State ceases recognizing the visa-holder as a diplomatic community member.

4. When do A-2 visas expire?

There is no definite expiration date. A-2 Visas are rescinded when the U.S. Secretary of State no longer recognizes the A-2 Visa-holder as a member of the diplomatic community.

5. What is the fee for an A-2 visa?

There is no cost. A-2 Visas are free.

6. Can my spouse and children accompany me on an A-2 visa to Las Vegas?

Yes, A-2 Visas can be extended to every household member of the government official/employee. This includes:

  • husband or wife
  • unmarried children of any age
  • same-sex domestic partner
  • the same-sex domestic partner's relatives by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • the spouse's relatives by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • any other relative of the A-2 Visa-holder by blood, marriage, or adoption; and
  • anybody who regularly resides in the household and that the sending government considers a member of the household

Note that A-2 Visas are issued to same-sex domestic partners only if the sending country would extend the same courtesy to American government employees traveling there on official business.

7. Can I bring my assistant with me on an A-2 visa?

Usually, yes. The assistant needs to apply for an A-3 Visa in order to accompany the A-2 Visa-holder to the U.S.

8. Can I get an A-2 visa if I am in Las Vegas, Nevada, just for a vacation?

No. The applicant would instead need to seek another type of visa, such as a B Visa in Nevada.

Call a Nevada immigration attorney...

If you are seeking an A-2 visa in Nevada or need other immigration services, call our Las Vegas immigration attorneys for a consultation at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673).

Go to our Nevada visa law main page.

Note that Nevada has two immigration offices: Las Vegas immigration office, and Reno immigration office. Immigration cases are handled in Las Vegas Immigration Court.  


Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370