"Category B Felonies" in Nevada (NRS 193.130)

Category B felonies are the second most serious class of felony crimes in Nevada. It carries a maximum sentence in Nevada State Prison of twenty (20) years.

In the majority of criminal cases, category B felonies can be plea bargained down to a lesser felony, misdemeanor, or possibly a full dismissal. If the criminal defense attorney and D.A. cannot reach a resolution out of court, the defendant may ask for a jury trial

Many category B convictions may be sealed after a five (5) or ten (10) year waiting period. And non-U.S. citizens accused of category B felonies risk getting deported unless the case gets dropped or changed to a non-deportable crime.

Below our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys answer frequently-asked-questions about category B felonies in Nevada, including definitions, penalties, and record seal time frames. Click on a topic to go to that section.

Felony 20gavel 202
Category B felonies in Nevada carry up to 20 years in prison. The penalty may be increased if the defendant used a firearm.

1. What are Category B felonies in Nevada?

Category B felonies in Nevada are considered the second most serious offense in the state after category A felonies.1 Typical category B crimes are:

2. What are the penalties for Category B felonies in Nevada?

Category B felonies in Nevada carry the following sentence:

Felony 20stop 20sign
  • one to twenty (1 - 20) years in prison, and
  • maybe a fine depending on the crime7

When a Nevada judge imposes a prison sentence range for a felony conviction, the minimum cannot exceed 40% of the maximum. For example, if a judge orders someone to a maximum prison term of twenty (20) years, the minimum time has to be no more than eight (8) years, which is 40% of twenty (20) years.8

3. Can I get a jury trial for a Category B felony in Nevada?

Yes, people facing category B charges in Nevada have the right to a trial by jury.9

4. Can I get a Category B felony sealed?

Category B felonies that are violent crimes have a ten (10) year record seal waiting period. Burglary of a residence also carries a ten (10) year record sealing waiting period. This waiting period begins only after the case closes. 

Otherwise, category B felonies in Nevada can be sealed five (5) years after the case is closed. But the case can never be sealed if the charge was for:

  • sex crimes,
  • crimes against children, or
  • felony DUI10

In cases where the category B charge gets dropped (so there is no conviction), the court can comply with a record seal request right away.11

5. Will I get deported for a Category B felony?

Possibly. Many category B felonies qualify as aggravated felonies and/or crimes involving moral turpitude, which are deportable. But if the charges get reduced to a non-deportable offense, alien defendants may be able to stay in the U.S. 12 Learn more at our informational page on the criminal defense of non-citizens in Nevada.

Phone us for help . . . .

If you are facing Nevada charges for a felony or a misdemeanor, our Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorneys may be able to get them reduced or dismissed. Call us at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a free phone consultation to talk about your case.

Legal References:

  1. NRS 193.130.
  2. NRS 200.050.
  3. NRS 205.067.
  4. NRS 205.220.
  5. NRS 200.310.
  6. NRS 200.380.
  7. NRS 193.130.
  8. Id.
  9. U.S. Constitution, Sixth Amendment.
  10. NRS 179.245.
  11. NRS 179.255.
  12. 8 USC § 1227.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370