How long can the prosecution wait to bring me to trial?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Jul 08, 2015 | 0 Comments

You have the right to a speedy trial in your criminal case under both the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 15, of the Califonria Constitution.

If this right is violated, you and your attorney can file a Serna motion (aka a speedy trial motion) asking the judge to dismiss the charges.

The problem is that there is no hard-and-fast rule for how long the prosecution can wait to bring you to trial.

For misdemeanor cases, a wait of one (1) or more year after you are arrested or a complaint is filed is an important milestone. After a 1-year delay in a misdemeanor case, a judge analyzing your case under the U.S. Constitution will presume that you have been prejudiced--harmed--by the delay. So the key question will be whether the government can offer a good excuse for the delay.

But in felony cases--or in cases that focus on the California constitutional right to a speedy trial--the Serna motion analysis is more complicated. There is no clear "deadline" for the government to bring you to trial after charging or arresting you. The judge will look at the length of the delay, but also any harm you suffered because of it and the justifications the prosecution offers for the delay, in deciding how to act on your speedy trial motion.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

A former Los Angeles prosecutor, attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT). He has been featured on CNN, Good Morning America, Dr Phil, Court TV, The Today Show and Court TV. Mr Shouse has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Criminal and Top 100 Civil Attorneys.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370