How can I get to court-ordered DUI school if my license has been suspended after a California DUI?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Aug 17, 2016 | 0 Comments

California DUI penalties certainly put defendants into tight spots.

On the one hand, your driver's license will be suspended if you are convicted of DUI. On the other hand, you also will be required to attend an in-person alcohol education program known as "DUI school" for anywhere from three to 30 months. But how can you travel to your DUI school classes if you are not allowed to drive?

(UPDATE 2019: Most drivers can continue driving without limitation following a DUI conviction if they get an ignition interlock device (IID) in their car. California Senate Bill 1046 (2019). Otherwise, they can get a restricted license, discussed below.)

The answer is a "restricted license." Many people convicted of DUI in California are eligible to receive a restricted license that allows them to drive only:

  • To and from work,
  • To and from school, and
  • To and from court-ordered DUI education programs.

Restricted licenses are easiest to obtain for first-time DUI offenders. First-time DUI defendants are eligible to get a restricted license either immediately after their license is suspended by the court or thirty (30) days after it is suspended by the California DMV.

If this is your second DUI within a ten (10)-year period, you will have to wait ninety (90) days to receive a restricted license--and will have to install an ignition interlock device in your car as a condition of the restricted license.

Defendants facing their third DUI within 10 years will have the hardest time of all. They can obtain a restricted license as well--but only if they:

  • Wait eighteen (18) months,
  • Install an ignition interlock device, AND
  • Attend the first twelve (12) months of an 18- or 30-month DUI school program.

In other words, defendants sentenced to a third or subsequent DUI will have to attend a year's worth of DUI school without the means to drive to it themselves. They will have no choice but to take public transportation or obtain rides from family or friends--or else risk violating their probation and/or being charged with driving on a suspended license.

Also, if you were driving a commercial vehicle at the time you picked up a DUI, you will not be eligible for a restricted license at all--and will have to find alternative transportation to DUI school.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

A former Los Angeles prosecutor, attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT). He has been featured on CNN, Good Morning America, Dr Phil, Court TV, The Today Show and Court TV. Mr Shouse has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Criminal and Top 100 Civil Attorneys.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370