If you rob a liquor store, clothing boutique, or most other businesses in Reno, Nevada, you will face charges and possible conviction under Nevada's robbery statute. Robbery, like most crimes, is usually governed by state criminal law. However, if you rob certain places or individuals in Reno, you could actually face federal criminal charges. If convicted of federal robbery charges, you could be sentenced to federal prison.
As set forth in 18 U.S.C. §§ 2111-2119, there are nine ways you can be charged with a federal crime for an act of robbery in and around Reno, Nevada:
- Robbery within “the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States,” (e.g., a federally owned building, such as the Bruce R. Thompson Courthouse and Federal Building, a national park, etc.). 18 U.S.C. § 2111. Punishment can include up to 15 years in federal prison.
- Robbery of “personal property of the United States.” 18 U.S.C. § 2112. Punishment can include up to 15 years in federal prison.
- Bank robbery. 18 U.S.C. § 2113. Penalties vary depending on whether a weapon was used and if someone was injured or killed in the robbery but can include up to life in prison or death.
- Robbery or attempted robbery of “any mail matter or of any money or other property of the United States.” 18 U.S.C. § 2114. Penalties can include up to 10 years in federal prison going up to 25 years if the victim was wounded or a deadly weapon was used.
- Robbery of a post office. 18 U.S.C. § 2115. Punishment can include up to 5 years in federal prison
- Robbery of a postal vehicle or postal carrier. 18 U.S.C. § 2116. Punishment can include up to 3 years in federal prison.
- Robbery of “any railroad car, vessel, aircraft, motortruck, wagon or other vehicle or of any pipeline system, containing interstate or foreign shipments of freight or express or other property.” 18 U.S.C. § 2117. Punishment can include up to 10 years in federal prison.
- Robbery of “a controlled substance belonging to or in the care, custody, control, or possession of a person registered with the Drug Enforcement Administration.” 18 U.S.C. § 2118. Punishment can include up to 10 years in federal prison.
- Robbery, “with the intent to cause death or serious bodily harm,” of a “motor vehicle that has been transported, shipped, or received in interstate or foreign commerce from the person or presence of another.” 18 U.S.C. § 2119. Punishment can include up to 3 years in federal prison.
If you are facing federal robbery charges or are being prosecuted for any other federal offenses committed in Reno or Washoe County, Nevada, please give one of our skilled federal criminal defense attorneys a call today to discuss your situation.