Does California's New Assisted-Suicide Law Mean I Can Help my Terminally-Ill Relative Die with Dignity?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Oct 26, 2015 | 0 Comments

Unless you are a physician and the other person is your patient, the answer is no.

In September 2015, California's legislature approved the state's first-ever "assisted-suicide" law.

This new law allows doctors to help terminally-ill patients end their lives without worrying about criminal penalties. It has received praise from people who advocate for the option of "death with dignity" for those who have only a short time left to live.

But it is important to note that this law applies only to doctors. Ordinary people who want to help their terminally-ill friends or relatives die a peaceful, painless death still have to worry about charges under Penal Code 401 PC, California's law against aiding a suicide.

If you help a sick friend purchase pills or a gun so that s/he can end his/her life, for example, you will be subject to felony penalties under that law.

And if you go a step further and actually kill a terminally-ill friend at their request, then you can be charged with California murder--even if the "victim" wanted your assistance in dying.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370