What is a place of child prostitution in Colorado?
Section 18-7-404 of the Colorado criminal code makes it a felony to operate or keep a place of child prostitution. Specifically, 18-7-404 (1) C.R.S. provides:
Any person who has or exercises control over the use of any place which offers seclusion or shelter for the practice of prostitution and who performs any one or more of the following commits keeping a place of child prostitution if he:
- (a) Knowingly grants or permits the use of such place for the purpose of prostitution of a child or by a child; or
- (b) Permits the continued use of such place for the purpose of prostitution of a child or by a child after becoming aware of facts or circumstances from which he should reasonably know that the place is being used for purposes of such prostitution.
For purposes of 18-7-404 C.R.S., a child is anyone under the age of 18.
Penalties for keeping a place of child prostitution in Colorado
Punishment for keeping a place of child prostitution can include:
- 4-12 years in prison, and
- A fine of $3,000-$750,000.
Additional consequences for keeping a place of child prostitution include mandatory registration as a Colorado sex offender and the loss of rights (such as gun ownership) that follow any felony conviction.
Defending charges of keeping a place of child prostitution
The best defense to keeping a place of child prostitution depends on the facts of your case. Common defenses we see, however, include (but are not limited to):
- The place of alleged prostitution was not under your control,
- You did not grant permission for the place to be used,
- You weren't aware the place was being used for prostitution,
- The “children” were at least 18 at the time of the alleged offense,
- The police engaged in entrapment or other misconduct.
Call us for help…
If you or someone you know has been charged with keeping a place of prostitution in Colorado, our Colorado criminal defense lawyers are here to help.
We often see innocent people accused of child sex crimes simply because they let the wrong person into their child's life. If this has happened to you – or if you just need the best sex crimes lawyer in Colorado – we invite you call us for a free consultation.
Communities in which we represent clients include Denver, Colorado Springs, Aurora, Fort Collins, Lakewood, Thornton, Arvada, Westminster, Centennial and Boulder. Our attorneys can help you navigate bail and release at any of the Colorado jails, including Durango's La Plata County Jail.
You reach us confidentially using the form on this page, or by calling us at our Denver home office:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
1400 16th Street ste. 400
16 Market Square
Denver CO 80202