What are class 1 petty offenses in Colorado?
- Colorado class 1 petty offenses, and
- Colorado class 2 petty offenses
Class 1 petty offenses are more serious than class 2 petty offense. Common examples of class 1 petty offenses in Colorado include:
- The Colorado crime of theft (if the property is valued at less than $50)
- The Colorado crime of third-degree criminal trespass (if the land has not been classified as agricultural)
- The Colorado crime of prostitute making display
- The Colorado crime of public indecency (first offense)
See the full list of Colorado class 1 petty offenses.
What are class 1 petty offense penalties in Colorado?
The penalty for class 1 petty offenses in Colorado is 6 months in jail and/or $500 in fines
Other class 1 petty offense facts in Colorado
Defendants slapped with a petty offense in Colorado may have a jury trial of no less than three jurors if they properly petition the court:
- No later than twenty-one (21) days of entry of the not guilty plea, the defendant must ask the court in writing for a jury trial; and
- The defendant is obliged to pay a jury fee of twenty-five dollars (which may be waived if the defendant is poor, and it will be given back to the defendant if the case is dismissed); and
- If the defendant wishes for four, five, or six jurors instead of three, the defendant has to include that request in the written petition.
If the defendant does not wish to have a jury trial, he/she may have a bench trial (where a judge and not a jury hands down the verdict).
It depends on the case, but in most circumstances the defendant could be eligible to get the case sealed from his/her criminal record. Even though petty offenses are not very egregious, there is a possibility that some of them may qualify as deportable offenses or crimes involving moral turpitude. For this important reason, non-citizens facing conviction of certain petty offenses could be vulnerable to deportation from the U.S.
Arrested in Colorado? Call us . . . .
Do not hesitate to call our Denver Criminal Defense Attorneys at (303)222-0330 for a free consultation and strategy session. We want to try to get your charge dropped altogether or lessened, or, if you wish, to take it to a jury. Our purpose is to try to keep you out of custody and your record clean.
- Go to our Colorado petty offense main page.