Our Thornton criminal defense lawyers have accrued years of experience getting felonies and misdemeanors dropped or lessened to more minor charges. In this article, our Colorado criminal defense attorneys discuss:
- 1. Where are people jailed after being arrested in Thornton?
- 3. Where is the Thornton Courthouse?
- 4. Who are the Thornton police?
- 5. Who prosecutes criminal defendants?
- 6. What are common Thornton crimes?
- 7. Can charges be dismissed?
- 8. Is an attorney necessary?
1. Where are people jailed after being arrested in Thornton?
Arrestees in Thornton who do not bail out typically are jailed at the Adams County Detention Facility at 150 North 19th Avenue, Brighton, Colorado 80601. The phone number is (303) 654-1850. Search for inmates here.
2. How can I post bail?
3. Where is the Thornton courthouse?
The address is 9551 Civic Center Drive, Thornton, CO 80229. The phone number is (303) 538-7210. And hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Otherwise, cases are handled in the Adams County Justice Center located at 1100 Judicial Center Dr., Brighton, CO 80601. And the phone number is (303) 659-1161.
Note that felony cases which do not settle or get dropped in Justice Court get bound over to the Seventeenth Judicial District Court (which is located in the same building).
4. Who are the Thornton police?
Police officers in Thornton are typically employed by either:
- Thornton Police Department. The station is located at 13150 Quebec St, Thornton, CO 80602. The phone number is (720) 977-5150.
- Adams County Sheriff’s Office. The station is located at 4430 S. Adams County Pkwy., 1st Floor, Suite W5400, Brighton, CO 80601. The phone number is (303) 654-1850.
Meanwhile, drivers cited or arrested on the SH-128 may work for the Colorado State Patrol.
5. Who prosecutes criminal defendants?
The 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office prosecutes criminal cases in the Adams County Justice Center. The office location is 1000 Judicial Center Dr. Suite 100, Brighton, CO 80601. The phone number is (303) 659-7720.
But in Thornton Municipal Court, the prosecutor is the City Attorney. The office is located at 9551 Civic Center Drive, Thornton, CO 80229. The phone number is (303) 538-7210.
6. What are common Thornton crimes?
The Thornton justice system hears all kinds of criminal and traffic ticket cases, such as:
- driving under the influence;
- drug possession and other drug crimes;
- assault or menacing (CRS 18-3-206);
- speeding (CRS 42-4-1101);
- domestic violence-related crimes;
- shoplifting (CRS 18-4-406);
- credit card fraud;
- white collar crimes;
- violation of a protective order (CRS 18-6-803.5); or
- sex crimes.
7. Can charges be dismissed?
Possibly. The job of the criminal defense attorney is to show the D.A. that its evidence is too faulty or holey to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt should the case go to trial. In many cases, the D.A. may be willing to substantially reduce or even dismiss criminal charges – especially if the defendant has a clean criminal history.
8. Is an attorney necessary?
A defendant’s best chance of winning lies with having a skilled criminal defense attorney. Private counsel takes the time to work up each case and craft the most effective defense possible in an effort to convince the D.A. to drop the charges or offer a good plea bargain. Public defenders often do not work on cases outside of the courtroom, and they often lack the time to even call their clients.
Cited or arrested in Thornton for a criminal offense? Rely on our experienced criminal defense attorneys to fight to get your charges lessened or dismissed.
Our firm has been serving Thornton in nearly every area of law. Our practice areas include civil litigation, personal injury, family law/child custody, probate, real estate, and estate planning in addition to criminal legal issues. Our attorneys at law provide legal services to clients in Denver, CO, Broomfield, Westminster, Northglenn, Lakewood, and throughout Colorado.
The legal professionals in the law office of Colorado Legal Defense Group are all in good standing with the Colorado Bar Association. The initial consultation with our AVVO- and Super Lawyer-rated criminal law attorneys is free, so call today.
Se habla espanol.