Can Police Order You to Stop Videotaping Their Activities in Public in California?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Sep 17, 2015 | 0 Comments

Can 20police 20can 20order 20you 20to 20stop 20videotaping 20their 20activities 20in 20public 20in 20california

With the increase in publicity related to police misconduct, law enforcement officers often order people to stop taking photographs or video in public places. In some instances, the police even harass, detain or arrest people who use their cameras or cell phone recording devices in public. But is that legal in California?

On private property, the property owner has the right to make the rules regarding the taking of photographs or videos on his or her property. In that case, if do not follow the property owners' rules, you can be ordered off the property and arrested for trespassing if you do not comply.

However, in California, as well as every other state in the country, you have the constitutional right to take photographs and videos of things that are plainly visible from public areas where you have a legal right to be present. This includes federal buildings, transportation facilities, as well police and other government officials carrying out their duties. In these circumstances, the police are not entitled to order to cease and desist taking pictures or video. Nor do the police have the right to demand that you delete your photographs or video.

Generally, the police are not permitted to confiscate or demand to view your photographs or video or search the contents your cell phone without a warrant. Further, it is possible that courts may approve the seizure of a camera in some circumstances if police have a reasonable, good-faith belief that it contains evidence of a crime by someone other than the police themselves (it is unsettled whether they still need a warrant to view them). (Note: This section has been updated to reflect the June 2014 US Supreme Court decision in Riley v. California, in which the court held that police need a warrant to search a cellphone.)

However, if your activities are truly interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations, the police may order you to stop that behavior. If an officer orders you to stand back, you should comply, since most courts will accept an officer's judgment about what is considered interference.

Additionally, while you have a right to capture images in public places, you don't always have a right to record what people say. California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California Penal Code 632 makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. Conversations with police in the course of their duties are not private conversations, but many other things you may record on a public street are. You can record people protesting or giving speeches in public.

If you believe your constitutional rights to photograph or video public police activities has been violated, contact us to discuss your case.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370