Can I use medical marijuana in my dorm room?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Jun 28, 2016 | 0 Comments

Marijuana possession is a federal crime

Over 20 U.S. states have legalized medical marijuana. Yet even in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Alaska and the District of Columbia – where recreational use of cannabis by adults is legal – underage public college students who need medical marijuana may not use it on campus. This means not just in classrooms and public areas, but in campus-based housing, such as dorms.

In order for public colleges and universities to receive grants and other funds from the federal government, they must abide by federal drug laws, as well as the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and the Drug-free Workplace Act. As a result, they must enforce the federal prohibition on marijuana, even when it is legal under the laws of their state.

Medical marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance

Marijuana is currently classified as a Schedule I controlled substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 812 -- the same classification as heroin and LSD.

This means that according to the U.S. government, marijuana has a high potential for abuse and no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States -- despite the fact that medical marijuana use is legal in 23 states and the District of Columbia.

Senate bill 683 -- introduced in 2015 by New Jersey senator Cory Booker – would change this. Under S683, marijuana would be classified as a Schedule II controlled substance. This is the same classification as prescription opioids and even cocaine. So ironically, despite the national opioid epidemic, a student with a prescription can legally possess Vicodin or Oxycontin on campus if prescribed by a doctor, but not medical marijuana.

What can a student who needs medical marijuana do?

Unless and until S683 becomes law, the safest alternative for underage medical marijuana users is to live off-campus. Possessing marijuana on campus carries the risk of university discipline and possible expulsion.

The good news is that most educational institutions aren't looking to punish their students who legitimately need help and are otherwise complying with state medical marijuana laws.

You can minimize your risk by taking the following precautions (although none are guaranteed):

  • Get your medical marijuana registry card,
  • Consume your marijuana in the form of edibles or tinctures, or use a vaporizer, and
  • Do not share or sell your medical marijuana.

 Learn about California medical marijuana laws and Nevada medical marijuana laws.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

A former Los Angeles prosecutor, attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT). He has been featured on CNN, Good Morning America, Dr Phil, Court TV, The Today Show and Court TV. Mr Shouse has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Criminal and Top 100 Civil Attorneys.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370