Can I enter Canada with a California "wet reckless" on my record?

Posted by Neil Shouse | May 21, 2014 | 0 Comments

If you are charged with California DUI and plead guilty to California "wet reckless" as a plea bargain--then you may find that you are unable to travel to Canada.

Travel to Canada with a DUI can be difficult or impossible, because Canadian immigration law prevents anyone with a serious criminal conviction from entering the country.

Many people think that, by accepting a "wet reckless" conviction as a plea bargain, they can avoid the stigma associated with a DUI. Unfortunately, for purposes of Canadian law, a "wet reckless" is treated exactly the same as a DUI.

Even a less-serious "California dry reckless" conviction can keep you from traveling to Canada--depending on the circumstances of the offense.

But there are ways to get into Canada even with a DUI or wet reckless. These include:

Refer to our article, "Can a plea bargain help me if I'm arrested for DUI in California?"

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370