Can new Nevada residents drive with a license from their previous state?

Posted by Neil Shouse | Mar 19, 2018 | 0 Comments

Not after 30 days. New Nevada residents are required to get a Nevada DMV-issued license within 30 days of moving. Otherwise, they face a misdemeanor charge carrying a maximum penalty of:

  • $1,000 in fines, and/or
  • 6 months in jail

But if the defendant gets a Nevada license promptly, the D.A. will usually dismiss the charge and reduce the fine to as little as $200. In order to get a driver's license, new residents must be able to provide the DMV with their street address.

Note that the following people may still drive in Nevada with their previous state's license even if 30 days have elapsed since they moved:

  • active duty military members
  • spouses and dependents of active duty military members
  • others living temporarily in Nevada

Learn more about the Nevada crime of driving without a license.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

The attorneys at Shouse Law Group bring more than 100 years collective experience fighting for individuals. We're ready to fight for you. Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 855-LAW-FIRM for a free case evaluation.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370