How do I get a "U Visa" in California? (8 C.F.R. § 214.14(g)(1))
Explained by Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys and Services

U visas give temporary legal status to illegal aliens in California who are victims of domestic abuse, rape, or other serious offenses. The victim's parents, siblings and children may also be able to get legal status.

There is no fee to apply for a U visa. They are typically good for four (4) years. And the visa holder may have the opportunity to apply for green card after three (3) years.

In this article our Los Angeles U visa attorneys discuss how victims can get legal immigration status in California, including eligibility requirements and fees. Click on a question to jump to the answer:

Domestic violence victims should feel free to call the National Domestic Violence Victim Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. They understand the special needs of alien victims who fear deportation by calling the police.

Immigration 20help
U visas are capped at 10,000 per year.

1. Can I get a "U visa" in Los Angeles, California?

There are three prerequisites for U visa eligibility:

  1. The non-citizen was a victim of criminal physical and/or mental abuse;
  2. The non-citizen has documentation from law enforcement certifying he/she will aid the police in investigating these abuse allegations; and
  3. The non-citizen has information about the abuse he/she endured

Common crimes that U visa applicants are victims of include:

  • Rape
  • Domestic violence
  • Prostitution
  • Human trafficking
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Extortion

2. What is the application process for a "U visa"?

Visa 20application

U Visa applicants have to fill out the following two forms:

  1. USCIS Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status, and
  2. USCIS Form I-918 Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification

Then these applications must be mailed to the following address:

Vermont Service Center (VSC)
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479

3. What is the fee for a "U visa"?

Applying for a U visa is free.

4. Can my family come to California on a "U visa"?

A U visa holder's "derivative family members" can usually live with them in the U.S. Derivative family members include

  • children,
  • parents, and
  • siblings

Note that U visa applicants are required to fill out USCIS Form I-918, Supplement A for each relative he/she wants to include in the petition.

U visas typically last for four years.

5. When do "U visas" expire?

U visa are good for four (4) years. This can be extended if law enforcement needs the visa holder to provide more assistance.

6. Is there a cap for "U visas"?

Yes. U visas are limited to 10,000 a year plus the U visa holder's derivative family members. Derivative family members usually include spouses, parents, and children.

Note that people placed on the U visa waiting list may be able to receive stabilized immigration status if they cooperate with law enforcement.

7. Can "U visa" holders get "green cards"?

U visa holders may qualify for permanent residency if they meet the following three requirements:

  1. The alien must have been on U.S. soil for three (3) continuous years since getting the U visa;
  2. The alien must not have acted unreasonably in refusing to help law enforcement after getting the U visa; and
  3. Staying in the U.S. would maintain the alien's family unit or serve the public interest.
    Rx call help4 optimized
    Call our California immigration attorneys at (855) 396-0370 for a FREE consultation.

Call our Los Angeles immigration lawyers...

If you or a family member is seeking a "U visa" in California, contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys for a FREE consultation at (855) 396-0370. We will fight to achieve lawful residency in the U.S. for you and your loved ones.

Go to our California visa main page.

Learn about U visas in Nevada.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370