It's Illegal in Clark County to Conduct Business in Public Right-of-Way

Posted by Neil Shouse | May 28, 2013 | 0 Comments

Many Nevadans still don't know that Clark County has an ordinance prohibiting conducting business in a public right-of-way. Fifteen Clark County business license agents patrol the Strip sidewalks in search of offenders.

The typical peddler sells water bottles for a dollar to thirty tourists, but some vendors sell various other items such as alcohol and sunglasses. Peddlers caught violating this ordinance aren't arrested but are given a citation for a misdemeanor in Nevada. Many peddlers work in cahoots to sidestep law enforcement, acting as “lookouts” and calling each other when they see an agent nearby. (For information on where legal fireworks may be sold in Clark County, see our article about where legal fireworks may be sold in Clark County.)

A misdemeanor in Nevada is the least serious class of crime. It carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and/or $1,000 in fines. However first-time offenders are rarely incarcerated and usually just have to pay a few hundred dollars in fines.

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Shouse Law Defense Group has multiple locations throughout California. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370