A Guide to Immigrating to the U.S. in Nevada: Green Cards
(Explained by Las Vegas Immigration Attorneys)

What are Green Cards in Nevada?

A green card grants you the official immigration status of "legal permanent resident." So if you are a non-citizen of the U.S., you are required to obtain a green card if you wish to live and work in the country on a permanent basis. A green card serves as physical proof that you have been granted legal permanent residence in the U.S.

How do you get a Green Card in Nevada?

There are several different ways that an individual can become a permanent resident and receive a green card. The majority of individuals receive the status through sponsorship by a family member or an employer located in the U.S. Others are granted this classification through refugee status or asylum. While sponsorship is typically required, you may be able to file on your own behalf in some special circumstances.

You may apply for a green card only after you are approved for a visa and are given a "visa immigrant number." However, green cards do not necessarily mean you get to stay in the U.S. forever no matter what:

Most green cards have to be renewed after ten years. (Learn about green card renewal procedures.) Furthermore, legal permanent residents may still be deported from the U.S. if they are convicted of certain deportable crimes. (Learn more about deportable offenses in Nevada.)


If you are outside of the United States when you receive a visa immigrant number, then you have to finish the application procedure for a green card at your local U.S. consulate. If you are already in the United States when you receive a visa immigrant number, you may apply to "adjust status" to become a legal permanent resident (which actually takes longer than consular processing). You can find the applications to adjust status here. Las Vegas residents can also go to the local USCIS office at 5650 Badura Ave Suite 100.

Can you get a Green Card through Family Sponsorship in Nevada?

There are various classifications and regulations within the category of permanent resident status through family sponsorship.

You may be eligible for a green card as:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. “Immediate relative” is defined as spouses, children under the age of 21 and are unmarried, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners that are 21 or older.
  • A family member of a U.S. citizen who fits into a particular preference category. These categories include: unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners that are 21 years of age or older.
  • A family member of a current green card holder. This category includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder.
  • A member of another special category. This additional category includes, but is not limited to battered spouses or children and any individual born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S.

Can you get a Green Card through Employment Sponsorship in Nevada?

In some situations, the best method for an individual to obtain a green card is through the sponsorship of an employer or a future employer (based on a job offer of employment).

The most common types of employer sponsorship is:

  • Green card through a job offer: In most cases, the individual will need to have the potential employer submit a labor certification and also file a Form I-140 on your behalf. An I-140 form is also known as an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker form.
  • Green card through investment: An individual may be eligible to receive a green card if she is an investor or entrepreneur who is making an investment in an enterprise that creates new jobs in the U.S.
  • Green card through self-petition: Under the right circumstances, a non-citizen may be able to file on her own behalf (“self-petition”). Typically this option is reserved for those who are considered to be “Aliens of Extraordinary Ability” or individuals who are recipients of a National Interest Waiver.
  • Green card through special categories of jobs: If the individual holds a job that is considered to be specialized by the U.S. government, she may receive a green card based on that position. The role could be a past or current position. Common jobs that fall into this category include: broadcasters and religious workers.

To learn more about green cards and the application process, click here.


Call us at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for help

If you are interested in applying for a green card and gaining permanent resident status, our Las Vegas immigration lawyers can help you understand the related laws and policies. It is in your best interest to work with an experienced immigration attorney who knows the laws and will ensure that you receive the best possible outcome concerning your legal matters.

Or if you or someone you know is a non-citizen who needs a criminal defense attorney in Nevada, our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys  for a free meeting. We will research your case, negotiate with prosecutors, and do everything we can to help keep you in the country and safeguard your green card status.









Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Regain peace of mind...

Our defense attorneys understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to zealously and discreetly protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370