Common category C felonies
Category C felonies are the "middle-ground" class of crimes in Nevada between "A" and "E". Some of the most frequently prosecuted category C felonies are:
- A third offense of battery domestic violence in Nevada (that does not result in substantial bodily harm)
- Grand larceny in Nevada (if the value of the property is from $650 to under $3,500)
- Buying or receiving stolen goods in Nevada (if the value of the property is from $650 to under $3,500)
- Stalking in Nevada (with use of the internet, text-messaging or similar device)
- Violating an extended protective order in Nevada
Category C felony penalties
Category C felonies in Clark County carry a sentence of:
- one to five years in prison, and
- maybe a fine of up to $10,000
When the court imposes a prison sentence for a Nevada felony conviction, the minimum time range may not exceed 40% of the maximum time. For example, if the maximum prison time is five years, the minimum time cannot be more than two years (which is 40% of five years).
Other category C felony facts
Any person who is charged with a category C felony in Nevada has the right to a trial by jury. Once twelve years have passed since the sentence ends, the court may seal the criminal record in Clark County unless the felony was for sexual assault or a crime against a child.
Legal and illegal aliens charged with category C felonies in Nevada risk deportation from the U.S. Learn more about immigration law at our informational page on Nevada deportable crimes.
Finally, note that attempting to commit a category C felony is prosecuted as a "wobbler" crime that can be treated as either a felony or a gross misdemeanor. Learn more about Nevada wobbler offenses.
Contact us for help . . . .
If you have been arrested in Nevada for any felony or misdemeanor, our Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorneys will do everything to try to get them reduced or dismissed. Give us a call at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) for a free consultation to discuss how we can help you.
- Return to our Nevada felonies main page